Would 256kbps suffice for Skype usage?

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by drjaycee, Mar 30, 2009.

1. drjaycee

drjaycee New Member

Hi,
    I do use Skype a lot (video on, most of the time),in the evenings(7.30pm -9pm IST) and am currently on the BSNL Home 500 plan, and these not being in the happy hours am exceeding the 2.5 GB limit.:confused:
    Thinking of changing to the 256kbps unlimited plan but am not sure if that would be sufficient for using Skype, and whether the video transfer would be affected.
    Would Skype users please enlighten.

TIA.
  2. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Not a Skype user.
    Suggest use higher speed for video.
    Even with speed upto 2 Mbps connection
    we find Videos on "Youtube" buffering.

In Yahoo Messenger, either I use voice or webcam
    ( My speed is upto 2 Mbps), if both are used
    at the same time instability is experienced.
    ( chat mode ok )

Use FireFox Browswer with adds on
    adblock Plus Flash Block, and NoScript.

You can manage within 2.5 GB
    now with all popups ,pictures/flash/ Avtars in forums/
    signatures/Google advts etc blocked
    from web sites regularly visited.
  3. drjaycee

drjaycee New Member

With 2Mbps ,or speeds close to it, am having no problems regarding both way video transmission.Video quality does not necessarily have to be top class in Skype ,as would be preferred for viewing youtube clips .
    Have been using Firefox since 2002 with add-ons mentioned above plus some more.
    After being on dial up since it was launched by BSNL, shifted to BB Home 500 in Oct 2005 . Since then have had on no occasion exceeded the 2.5 GB limit(though sometimes had been tantalisingly close to it) ,till recently, since using Skype almost regularly!
    Would be extremely thankful if some Skype user could shed some light on my original question."Would 256 do ?"
  4. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Skype video usage data

If you can kindly post the data used for a short
    Video session say 15 minutes, it will be
    useful to all.
    And also the Video codec recommended
    by Skype or used by you.
    and the audio codec.
  5. sauptikc

sauptikc New Member

I use Skype on a 256 kbps connection. It is OK. It works. Did not feel the need for a faster connection for skype. Video would have been better with a fast connection. Audio is just fine.
  6. panchabhut

panchabhut Active Member

audio in skype works well even with a 128 kbps connection. but video may have some issues at 256 kbps.
  7. drjaycee

drjaycee New Member

:confused:
    Sorry being in a profession far removed from the technicalities of computers, this appears Greek to me.
    Please do pardon my ignorance.

From the replies so far; I guess one can opt for a 256kbps connection if the limits are exceeded by a fair margin, without compromising too much on functionality.

Thanks a lot for all help and insight .
  8. rsen

rsen New Member

1. Download a free speed meter like Bitmeter2
    2. Use it's stopwatch to find out how much is being downloaded over a 15 minute period. Also check the average download speed.

It's almost certain that 256Kbps is too slow for any kind of video stream.
  9. superprash2003

superprash2003 New Member

i've done a video chat on a 256kbps connection and it works great!
  10. drjaycee

drjaycee New Member

Thanks for the thumbs up from users.
    I guess that settles it.
  11. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

skype forum
    Bandwidth used reported average 200MB in one hour D/L and U/L
  12. newprouser

newprouser Guest

do u mind posting a screenshot ??
  13. drjaycee

drjaycee New Member

Got my plan changed from home 500 to 750UL (actually 500 in Cal) and Video chat on Skype is NOT a problem at all ,though Video quality has dropped to some extent .
    Previously an hour of Chat would entail some 200MB (as per usage site of BSNL) of data transfer.Now it stands at 85/90 MB/hr.

Waiting for the upgradation of speed to 512kbps, which has been temporarily stalled , to take effect sometime soon. Hopefully after the elections!

Thanks
  14. meetdilip

meetdilip Guest

After elections is a rumour, which can be true. So you can use it properly on UL 750 ? With 256 kbps.
  15. drjaycee

drjaycee New Member

Yes no problem at all.