Wifi modem that is compatible with 11N wireless wifi antenna and MTNL

Discussion in 'MTNL broadband' started by gizmofreak, Aug 17, 2010.

1. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

Dear all,

I need help. I am from Delhi and have MTNL broadband connection. My MTNL modem is T-KD 318-EUI.

I want to get wifi router(modem). MTNL is asking for Rs. 1100/- as one time non-refundable fees and RS. 75 per month. :mad: I think it is better to buy own modem.

Can someone please guide me as to which wifi modem I should buy that is perfectly compatible with MTNL broadband connection and easy to configure ( if any issue I can get help).

I have recently purchased acryan Playon!HD player along with 11N wireless wifi antenna. site is xtreamer.net/accessories/wifi-usb-antenna.aspx

Please suggest me the router I should buy that is compatible with MTNL & this 11N wireless antenna...

Thanks

Guys,

Please help me out.

Will one wifi router be sufficient for having fixed line (ADSL ) connection with desktop PC and wifi connection for laptop? Is belkin good for such purpose?
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

I have shortlisted Netgear ( cgi.ebay.in/NEW-Model-Netgear-WGR614-N150-Wireless-Router-WGR-614-/260648340582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203 ) and Belkin (cgi.ebay.in/Belkin-N150-Enhanced-Wireless-Router-save-47-OFF-/150481821938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203 ).

Which one is better Belkin or Netgear in terms of performance, continutity compatability with MTNL and customer care.

If someone has any better suggestion, please do share.

Given belkin model is of lifetime warrenty, but Netgear is of 2 years warrenty.

Please advise as need to buy the same. Would appreciate any help.
  3. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Recommend dual antennae type either from Belkin or Buffalo
    Belkin : Double N+ Wireless Router

Google search : Dual antenna wifi router.

2. Your modem TKD 318-EUI may be identical to Ut300r2U
    refer links below.

3. please mention Range of WIFI activity. ( Radius and height) Usually these wifi routers may give max Range Of 30 TO 40 FEET.
    Or try buy an unit with detachable antenna, so that improved dish antenna etc can be fabricated or purchased if needed.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

Thanks for reply essbebe.
    links are missing....

My budget is maximum 2k. The Netgear and Belkin are within Rs.1600/-. The whole idea of purchasing the modem is that MTNL is asking for Rs. 1100/- as one time non-refundable fees and RS. 75 per month. I think it is better to buy own modem.

Can you please recommend the modem that is within this budget and works well with MTNL. ( starting range of Dual antenna wifi router is 3k :( )
  5. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Please see update in post No 3.
    Mention OS used. For Windows 7 an application called "Connectify"
    can be also tried.( listed by @ meetdilip earlier.)

I have used Netgear wgr614 (for a radius of about 20 to 30 feet in a brick and cement house)in different rooms.
    Now on Linksys Dual antenna covering different floors ( height max 30 feet) building wood construction. ( In U.S)
  6. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

I have Windows Xp (sp2). I am running it on AMD Athlon 200XP.

Looking for best possible wifi router within 2k budget. Otherwise better to go with MTNL.
  7. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Sometimes link/s given as "signature" do not appear.
    You have not replied the requirements.
    Radius of operation :
    Height involved:
    Obstructions/steel/concrete/ open space etc.
    Best to buy a 2N wifi router with dual antenna.
    Visit you local computer dealer for purchase Netgear or Belkin54Mbps wifirouter
    and ask for exchange to higher priced model 2N108 Mbps if not suitable.
    search in Google for eBAY INDIA OR AMAZON web sites.
  8. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

Radius of operation :Total area of my duplex flat is 129.6 sq. meters
    Height involved: There are 10 stairs we need to climb to reach first floor of the house.
    Obstructions/steel/concrete/ open space etc. : I have windows xp based desktop at first floor where I would be keeping my router. It is at the end of the room on first floor.

I would like to create wirelss network (to stream movies/music/photos) and acess the net from lower floor.

Basis my budget, following are my options: Linksys WRT54G 2.4 ghz (which I guess is double antenna), Belkin 150N, Netgear WGR614 - N150, AND wifi router provided by MTNL.

My main use of wifi would be with acryan playon!HD player, connected to 11N wireless antenna.

Which one should I go for?. (I am getting Linksys for Rs.1300)
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  9. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Presume steps. height may be 10 feet from ground level
    main use of wifi would be with acryan playon!HD player, connected to 11N wireless antenna.

Any wifi router type can be tried.
    ( check difference 54 Mbps and 108 Mbps transfer rate )
  10. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

You have also recommended in your earlier post that two antenna router are good. As per shopkeeper, linksys is two antenna router, but is G series (I one I have choosen). Is G series router good enough for network sharing and internet browsing ( say watching online movies).

Since have heard from diffent people that Linksys router are best in this segement. That is why want to know if go for linksys G series or Belkin N series. It is not be possible for me to check different routers at home.

So, need suggestion on which one to choose for given purpose, area and within the allocated budget.
  11. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

As you are using s HD ( high Definition Player) I suggest buy the 802.11n standard wifi router with multiple antennae.
    At present using WRT54G Dual Antenna router , and works fine at different heights.
    Basement/ and first floor. Unit placed in ground floor.
  12. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

Thanks for quick reply essbebe,

My budget is maximum 2k. 802.11n standard wifi router with multiple antennae cost above 3.5k.

Here I am trying to get the best possible arrangement in given budget:

MTNL : taking one time non-refundable payment of Rs. 1100+ Rs. 75 per month.
    (Total : Rs. 2000/year). Wonder if MTNL provide N series router

Linksys: WRT54G Rs. 1350/-

Belkin and Netgear N150: around Rs. 1700

Given my situation, which one will you suggest. Will N150 make any difference, given the maximum net speed in our country. Also for continuous (without buffering) wireless networking and streaming, is G series not ok?
  13. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Belkin and Netgear N150: around Rs. 1700
    recommended.
  14. shoummo

shoummo New Member

help with playon hd player

need help with the setting up of the wireless connectivity of playon hd player. thanks,
  15. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

playon hd player.
    GIVE more details. Does it have built in wifi adapter ?

Also give details of the present setup. modem/wifi router used .
  16. shoummo

shoummo New Member

playon hd player

Does it have built in wifi adapter

the player comes with a wi fi dongle though i am just not able to connect it.

modem/wifi router used

i use a bsnl broadband connection. the modem is huawei quickway wa 1003 a modem with a wireless antenna. i am not sure if this can be used as a router or whether i need to buy a separate router.

excuse my ignorance and thanks for your help.
  17. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

quickway wa 1003 a modem
    Yes. this unit can be use to connect your desktop via lan and other sytems via wifi.
    wait.... for lan and wifi settins.
    http://www.calcutta.bsnl.co.in/dataoneinstall/mu05.html
    http://www.mydataone.net/router/wa1003a.html

Playon
    Network - Features:

* Great as Network Media Center
    * Functions as NAS network drive
    (accessible via network from all NAS capable devices)
    * Browse network by navigation or direct IP address
    * Save Shortcuts to easily access network locations
    * Plays and Streams audio/video/image media from any device in your network
    * Use Playon!HD to play any media in your network
    * Play media stored in the Playon!HD from anywhere in your network

* Browse network by navigation or direct IP address
    * Save Shortcuts to easily access network locations
    * Plays and Streams audio/video/image media from any device in your network
    * Use Playon!HD to play any media in your network
    * Can turn attached USB storage devices into network drives

Network - Wired:

* LAN Ethernet 10/100Mbps Auto-negotiation
    * Built-in DHCP for Auto IP or Manual Fixed IP

Network - Wireless
    (optional, not incl.):

* Wireless WLAN 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps via USB WLAN adaptor (optional, not incl.)
    * Supports WLAN security WEP / WPA
    * Supports WLAN Peer-to-Peer (connects wireless without router)

There are two models which one you have ?
    REF:http://www.playonhd.com/en/
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  18. gizmofreak

gizmofreak New Member

I also have Playon!HD player (PV73100P+). I am using xtreamer 11N wireless antenna.

I was also thinking for going for N series router (but got discouraged because of price), have settled for MTNL provided router.

Though I have not used is much, but following is my experience so far with MTNL provided router:

1) Internet feeds: official Playon firmware does not have any live media feeds ( it is very unfortunate) like youtube etc. So, not able to test its speed.

2) Radio stations: Works fine

3) PC to TV streaming: Works fine.

Now only thing i want now is to some how stream online media contents from sites like youtube, dailymotion ect to my TV via this player. (Youtube working method as metioned in 'community development' is something I am unable do so far).

If someone has any idea how o stream browser contents (IE/ firefox) to TV via this player, please do let me know
  19. shoummo

shoummo New Member

thanks for your response.

There are two models which one you have ?

Playon HD and not Playon HD mini.

I have received the wifi dongle driver in a mini cd for which i do not have a reader. can anybody help, suggest a website form where i could download.

thanks,
  20. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER