Why is a laptop in US comparatively cheaper than in India?

Discussion in 'Laptop' started by Mr.Tooth Fairy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Mr.Tooth Fairy

Mr.Tooth Fairy New Member

Hi guys, i have a simple question. If u go online to sites from Dell, Acer, Hp, Apple any brand, if u check the rates as in US in $$ n convert it to Indian currency than it will be always cheaper. Contrary if u check the rates in any shop in India or even if online for India.. it will be costly.

Y is this diffrence?? if its the matter of slight difference than understood. but the difference is large.

Right now i m bit confused. Like i am going to US. I need a pc at home. Now i m thinking whether i should buy a new desktop for home and take my present laptop to US??

But when i checked the prices for US.. i mean i can get a decent laptop for 600$ i mean a config of 4gb ram and 250 to 500 gb HDD, dual core processor, web cam, card reader n blue tooth inbuild.

I guess the config is pretty ok.. all we can say is approx costing only 30k rupees.. i think a desktop even can cost minimum of 25k decent one.

Comments and adivses please.....

P S... is there gonna be a big difference between dual core and core 2 duo if i buy any of the one??

My main usage if i will get the above config laptop ... will be little of gaming, songs, movies, internet... etc etc.. not more than this.. so processors where does they play role exactly? can anyone tell me in detail?? i have checked .. most of the laptops in Dell in this or lesser than this range of money will have Dual core and not core 2 duo processors..

if selecting core 2 duo it will be approx more than 5 to 6 thousand more.. is it worth spending this much extra??? where actual real difference comes in usage??
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  2. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

maybe it is more expensive in India due to customs and duties.

-F
  3. Mr.Tooth Fairy

well i think there also ppl pay tax:D
  4. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

I wasn't talking about taxes. When you import stuff into India
    you pay duty + tax etc. In US only Tax is applicable.

-F

p.s you can go to New Hampshire and buy a laptop and you
    won't even have that sales tax ;-)
  5. Mr.Tooth Fairy

well...i think its like importing is something tht u dont get in India and u specially get it or order it from out side, but considering laptops only.. i think dell/ acer/ hp atleast this all companies have mfg in india.. wat import duty u talking? can u please explain...

y so special abt new hamshire?? lol
  6. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

I don't think it is Dell, Acer etc. that impose this. It is the
    government of India which is collecting the duties.
    I am not sure if the laptops are manufactured in India.
    I think they are manufactured in China or something?

-F

New Hampshire is one of the few states in the USA
    which does not have sales tax on items purchased there.
  7. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

If you choose to buy a laptop in the U.S., make it sure to get/purchase an International Warranty there itself... So that, you can avail the services in India too...
  8. Mr.Tooth Fairy

aare.. thts fine.. i will be getting international warranty for my new laptop.. but my mmajor point was y its cheaper comparatively to India..

@ farce, i think the parts may be manifactured in different countries but assembeled in India also..
  9. nisant666

nisant666 New Member

As far a i know, no brand has manufacturing plant in india. all are made in china and brought here. the rate difference is due to the duties levied by govt. every budget you can here they saying govt has reduced excise duty on lcd panel, tv etc. etc. this means the cost of such item will be reduced.

I remember reading somewhere the coca-cola chief saying that if the govt reduces the duty charged to cola, they can offer 330 ml for less than Rs.5 (Three four years back when the actual cost was Rs.10)

Govt needs money and it decides whom to tax more. as far as india is concerned laptop is still not an essential commodity. govt gives subsidy for petrol, diesel, lpg etc for the usage of all people across the cross section of population and more money is charged on non essential and luxurious item.

You can see cheaper rates for laptop is applicable only in the us. in uk i think its more than that of india. so don't break ur head on that. get one laptop from us with no hesitation.

all the best
  10. just4kix

just4kix Guardian Angel Staff Member

OK. Please do not use SMS text short form words.

The price in India is costly because the laptop is completely imported and not assembled in India. Items imported attact:

a) Shipping charges (at the port of origin)
    b) Handling charges (at the port of destination)
    c) Customs Duty on Base Cost + (a) + (b)
    d) Any other local tax at the destination port on {Base Cost + (a) + (b) + (c)}

After that, the dealer adds the margin. Then there is local shipping cost and Octroi (in case of MH state). To this add VAT (Sales Tax).

I hope that you get the picture now.
  11. Mr.Tooth Fairy

yes kixxi.. i got it.. thanks for the decent responce.....

do u think asking a question , or query or doubts or even discussing a topic is wat u call BREAKING HEAD???:mad:
  12. Pri_dm

Pri_dm Guest

lol thanks gawd he dint say breaking teeth :p
  13. just4kix

You are being too hard on nisant666.

When he said, don't break your head, what he meant was don't think too much or over-analyze the situation; just go ahead with the buy.
  14. rajan1311

rajan1311 Guest

It depends on the kind of work u will be performing.If u use it just for internet surfing, get dual core n save ur movey, else, if u need performance, better to got for a Core 2 duo.

Also, what J4K said is totally correct. But, i wanna add some more too.

I was working with HP here, we spoke about their DV6 series. A vairant comes with an AMD processor costs abt 45k. A variant which comes with an intel processor is 63k. Rest of the parts are same. Jusr 18k for an mid range processor. The processor, when got alone is $200 (Rs10k). Do not forget the fact that ur replacing an AMD processor too. So, cost wise, only a diff of 6k max. But they charge u 18k(instead of 6k). Problem, HP's main rival,Dell(with due respect for lenovo and acer) has their XPS series in that range. So, even if they can place it at a lower cost, they do not have any need to make it cheaper. Simply lack of any kind of competition(at such price range).

But, at lower level, where acer is gr8, prices are pretty good and close(at netbook at nettop level). I hope u got my point.
  15. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

It's just an expression, means don't worry about that decision too much.

-F
  16. deepmohan

deepmohan Its Time To Change !

Ya thats true in UK coca-cola is cheaper than Water. :D
  17. stick0

stick0 New Member

Its not only laptops...gaming consoles,etc.
  18. just4kix

The US is the cheapest place to buy Electronics. Period.

The only issue is with the 110V/60Hz electricals for some items.
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Member

Why only some items? as far as I know all electrical items work there only on 110 V/60 Hz. Also the pin in their power cords wont fit into th sockets in India. But you can always buy an adapter both for the voltage transformation from 110 to 220 V and also for the pin.
  20. just4kix

Correct.

But what I meant was some of the items such as iPods/iPhones, MP3 players, laptops, etc. have universal adapters. So it is not an issue with such items.