What is Push to Talk concept in Mobile phones ?

Discussion in 'Mobile phones' started by ranjitraut, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ranjitraut

ranjitraut New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone have an idea of Push-To-Talk concept in NOKIA mobiles..
    How does it work and what is it used for...
    Also inform the settings to be done to a BSNL mobile phone to use the same....
  2. cool_don

cool_don Guest

Push to Talk service is not available in India. I think this sevice is like walky talky that means u can talk within specific range with the help of that service.

I don't know why this service is available in India........
  3. PTT PoC or Push to Talk over Cellular is a feature similar to walkie-talkie that is provided over a cellular phone network. A typical Push to Talk connection connects almost instantly. One significant advantage of PoC is allowing a single person to reach an active talk group at a button press, thus users no longer need to make several calls to coordinate with a group. Just like Walkie.

Push-to-talk calls are half duplex communications — while one person speaks, the other(s) listen(s).

PTT service is supported only between parties on the same mobile carrier service, and users with different carriers will be unable to transmit to each other by PTT. However, the advancement of this service will likely bring interconnectivity of PTT traffic between different networks in the near future.

Advantage of this facility is:
    1. A quick telephone conference with a group of people
    2. Participants don't have to answer the phone, as the speaker's voice is automatically played through their phones' loudspeakers

I Think In India presently this service is not available because some dispute is going on. Most probably the same will be launched after the full allocation of spectrum for 3G.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Thats news to me, I didint know this thing ever existed.. Must come really handy in large office buildings or even construction sites.
  5. Mr.Tooth Fairy

Mr.Tooth Fairy New Member

i think years ago when ptt was launched in india.. tht time hutch launched this facility.. then shut it down;; not sure.,. ptt i think in abroad also not a success.. i mean rerely ppl uses it.. in abroad
  6. SmoothVibes

SmoothVibes Super Moderator Staff Member

PTT is still not available in india, very long time back Hutch launched this service and after that stopped providing this service in a very short time. It is very useful in work places but not good for me any more coz now vodafone has provided us with one more good alternative to talk free of cost that is new CUG (Calling User Group)
    thats Wipro CUG, all group calls free of chage so can use it like 24 hours for wipro to wipro phone :)
  7. navgemi

navgemi New Member

smoothvibes, I am not sure if this CUG has benefited the companies or not but it has surely benefitted its young employees.:)

GFs ane BFs keep chatting for hours without worrying about the charges as the service is free.At least that's what I see in my comapny...I am sure it will be the same for Wipro as well...:):)

Gud use of CUG plans..:rolleyes:
  8. Mr.Tooth Fairy

thts not anythin new... it obviously will happen.. ppl want to talk .. just paying comes... they limit their talks.. if it would be free,, y not any1..

i told the same thing buddy.. regarding PTT///
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  9. SmoothVibes

ya thats correct people really do all this, they dont like to use any privilage but they love to misuse everything which they get free...
  10. Mr.Tooth Fairy

of course.. normal human mentality..
  11. SmoothVibes

its really not human can call it indian mentality, in most of european countries people are affraid of doing all this coz misusing any resource and put then in trouble and sometimes they may need to pay for that.
  12. catthefelix

catthefelix New Member

PTT is available

Guys, PTT, or PoC can be made available in India, and quite simply.
    If you have Nokia phone - I will be able to provide you with Over-The-Air (OTA) config message. After that you wil be able to use PTT.

I am after a partner in India who will sell PTT services to both corporate and private sector.

Contact me, if you want to try PTT, or now anyone that may be interested in becoming reseller/distributor.
  13. snjawal

snjawal New Member

can we use PTT in INDIA after having the settings from you
    I want settings,
    can u pls send me those?
  14. ranjitraut

ranjitraut New Member

Send me the settings too... would like to try it out...
  15. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Googler Search: PTT or PoC
    check this forum post for NOKIA>
    Search - Nokia USA
  16. MukeshKoshyM

MukeshKoshyM New Member

Conversing on half-duplex communication lines, including two-way radio, using a momentary button to switch from voice reception mode to transmit mode. In simple, its allows to convert your handset to a walkie-talkie (Something similar to walkie-talkie used by police).

Benefit : Cellular phone walkie-talkie is that it has much range(Can be used for all members in cellular network).

Drawback : Cannot be used with number/connections in other network.

Even me too heard that this facility is not supported by any of the cellular network in India.

Seems to be following are the steps in Nokia

1) Create SIP Profile
    2) Create XDM Profile
    3) Change network mode to UTMS
  17. mickey

mickey New Member

PTT works with both as Nokia 3110c, but too bad..

go calling..
  18. chinavasion66

chinavasion66 New Member

PTT is also reffered as Press-to-Transmit...

I have Nokia 6233, It has the PTT option, with the help of PTT you can make call without dial a number....