Various brands and types of Cooking Oil scanned!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by StarK, Feb 5, 2009.

1. StarK

StarK New Member

Hello, You must have seen the news report yesterday by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), its a big surprise such organizations exist in India!

A special report has been carried out in the Times Of India Feb 05, '09 issue too.

If you missed both of them, look here Fat of the matter | Cover Story | Down To Earth magazine

Stay away from hydrogenated vegetable oils (which i'm sure over 90% of India's 'halwayis' and restaurants would be using! :mad:),

and reheated vegetable oils (which 100% of Indian restaurants and halwayis would be doing, when it is done quite often in the Indian household itself!).

:) Also, please consider donating to this organization which has once again come up against these lack of rules and regulations by the Indian govt (after the cola pesticide issue). :clap:
  2. saurav_k

saurav_k Guest

thanks for the info
  3. cool_techie_tvm

cool_techie_tvm Amor vincit omnia

Ok, long story short, which oil is good?

On the sixth page i find this So is our health at risk? Probably, but who cares.
  4. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

Safola oil followed by Canola oil. Also olive oil is good.

-F
  5. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

6. justcurio.us

justcurio.us New Member

I read this article last week in 'The Hindustan Times' which said clarified butter(ghee)is better than various cooking oils.
  7. cool_techie_tvm

cool_techie_tvm Amor vincit omnia

Thanks for helping me out. :)
  8. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

Ghee is not very good. It might be better than some oils but
    it has high saturated fat. Canola oil, Saffola, or olive oil
    is healthier than ghee.

-F
  9. StarK

StarK New Member

Thanks mad :)...

basically the refined oils with <1% of trans fats, and olive oil are good... and at our place we only use these so this is one thing which dint go wrong :D.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer New Member