USB connection problems for BSNL DNA A201BEI modem

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by SyncMr, Apr 16, 2011.

1. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

Hi,

I recently got BSNL Broadband connection.

The internet is working fine in my Laptop. But the Ethernet is not working in my Desktop. So I want to connect to internet using USB.

CASE 1 Laptop:

I first thought of trying USB connectivity in my Laptop and then trying in Desktop.

The modem provided by BSNL is DNA A201BEI. They gave a CD (ADSL2 + CPE/Router WiFi-TA) along with it. I could find only one setup file 'VMC PPPoE Dialer Installer.msi' in it along with few Drivers for various OS. Even after installing it the USB is not working.

I also tried downloading drivers for DNA A201 BEI and followed the instructions to install the driver. After turning on the modem with USB connected, I got found new hardware for 'RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget', then the regular installation dialogs. I selected the folder where I have the drivers. Even then the setup ends unsuccessfully with the message, "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software".

How can I ensure USB connection.? Is there any other drivers or something that needs to be installed.? Why am I facing this problem.?

CASE 2 Desktop:
    I am not getting any Found new hardware pop-up dialog at all. After connecting the modem through USB and turning on the modem, everything remains silent. Any idea of why this problem is.?

Till two months back, I was using a BSNL broadband connection in the same desktop in my home town in USB mode. Recently I shifted my PC and got a new broadband connection. The previous modem was a BSNL Huawei Quidway 1003A Modem. The new modem provided by them is DNA A201BEI. The USB cable I am using was provided for my Huawei Quidway Modem. Is this anything to do with the modem.?

Thanks in advance.
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Are you particular about USB connection ? We can try to fix the connection using ethernet cable.

To do

1. Configure your modem in PPPoE mode.

2. Enable DHCP in your modem.

3. In the TCP/IP properties of your connection (both laptop and desktop), set " Obtain IP address automatically ".

Please note, to connect multiple machines simultaneously, you need to be in PPPoE mode.
  3. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

Thanks for you reply meetdilip.

Actually the ethernet card doesnot work in my Desktop. So I thought instead of getting a new ethernet card I can go for the USB connection.

I am not trying to connect just one machine at a time either my laptop/desktop.

I want to connect to internet in my desktop through USB. So thought of first doing it in my laptop and repeating the same steps in my desktop. hope you got me.
  4. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Uninstall all old usb drivers from system
    download this :
    BSNL BROADBAND MODEM DRIVERS (Unofficial site): DNA-A201BEI usb driver
    store in harddisk.
    Restart system with modem connected in USB mode.

give details model/make/number.
    In Network/LAN/Properties/Network settings
    ethernet card Box on top
    Configure.
    Check enabled or not , drivers etc .
  5. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

Same even after doing all of these both in my laptop and desktop.

In Desktop:

There is NO lan at all in Network Connections. It is blank. Any other way to find its model/make no.

I opened the CPU and found this no. Model No.: DFE 538TXD5. Hope this might help.

In Laptop:
    I Right clicked LAN in Network connections -> Properties. Could not find Network Settings. It has only entries like TCP/IP , QoS etc.
  6. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

USB connections with BSNL modems has some problem or other. Better get a LAN card (costs around Rs. 350).
  7. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  8. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

Is there anything I need to check before getting a LAN card.? Anything like MotherBoard Compatibility or Modem compatibility.?

Thanks.
  9. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

Uploaded Screenshot of my Modem details.

Attached Files:

10. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

My LAN card also died recently. Got it replaced through a local technician. He noted my motherboard model no. Not sure whether he used it.
  11. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

@meetdilip: Could you provide the details of your new lan card. Mine is a 5yr old motherboard. Intel D865GBF. That is why wanting to know if any compatibility issues need to be checked.
  12. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Please check the screen shot

[​IMG]

My motherboard is Gigabyte K8M800 -8237

Attached Files:

13. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

to see your ethernet card details in Network settings
    see picture 4.
    (courtesy @just4Kix)
    India Broadband Forum
    click for enlarged picture.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  14. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Shows as " Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC ".
  15. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

16. SyncMr

SyncMr New Member

But I am having windows XP in both the systems.!!
  17. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

It can be tried for system with XP also.
    While checking previous threads , noticed the link. and posted for DNA210BEI for future reference.
    Uninstall all previous drivers and then try .

Only Negative reply
    No response to post No 13 regarding details of ethernet LAN card.