UL 499 or Combo UL 625 speed??

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by anand_30, Dec 15, 2010.

1. anand_30

anand_30 New Member

I am currently on 500C night unlimited plan with 2Mbps speed.I am just confused whether to switch to unlimited plan considering learning resources such as nptelhrd channel on youtube or stick to 500C.

I am not a big downloader,i am just fed up of waking up early in the morning and downloading and watching those tutorials and also checking my usage everytime.

I request your advice on speed of 499UL and combo 625UL which is 256kbps i.e 32 Kilobytes/sec.Is it too slow as compared to what i get on 500C?Is it possible at this speed to stream videos on youtube without any stop?

Also if I choose to switch to UL plans which one I should take considering cost in mind?499UL or 625UL?coz anyhow atleast 100 calls metered in a month.

Thank you in advance.
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

If you are not a heavy downloader and likes to browser Youtube and other similar resources during day time, it is a good decision to move to an unlimited plan.

You need not wake up at 2.00 am. The whole process can be automated. Check this link

http://www.indiabroadband.net/broadband-how/22875-automate-download-night.html

As you mentioned, Home 500 has 256 KBps and UL 499, UL Combo 625 has 32 KBps. So obviously the drop in speed will be high. I was using 256 Kbps unlimited till they recently upgraded to 512 Kbps. Video streaming is not proper with a 256 Kbps connection. There will be some amount of buffering in any case. Even 2 Mbps connection has a bit of buffering at times. I used to pause the download and check after the video is completely loaded.

If you don't depend much on land line to make calls, better switch to UL 625. In effect, both are almost same.

Hope I addressed all points. Feel free to ask in you need any info.
  3. suvo

suvo Member

take 499 ul. the diff between 499 and 625 is 126 rs and 100 free calls.
    Bsnl one india call rates is 1 rupee for all.
    so why pay @ 1.26 per call.

you might have hav a problem with 256 kbps plan while video streaming.

if you want to watch videos without any pause switch to 750 ul @ 512 kBps and remember to stop all downloads while watching videos.256 kBps will do well for upto 240/360p.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  4. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Yep, UL 750 will give better performance with YouTube and similar. You can use it if your budget allows ( most Home 500 users want an unlimited plan for the same amount.)
  5. anand_30

anand_30 New Member

Yes,sure I am going to switch.

I forgot to tell you,I don't use Windows,mine is ubuntu 10.04.But its looking a nice software.Other night unlimited users might get help from it.Thanks.

That will be ok for me,I also will be checking video when its completely loaded.What do you think 1 hr lecture will take to load?

I am going with UL 625,as there is no phone rent in that case and 100 calls are sufficient.

I really thank you Dilip for such a nice advice. :)
    I appreciate your help.
  6. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

You can download 80 - 100 MB in one hour. I mostly got an average of 80 MB per hour. You can try speedbit video accelerator. It clams to give better result with slow connections.
  7. anand_30

anand_30 New Member

True but i think they also have phone rent charge which will cost more.So in the end both plans are same considering cost,am I wrong?

I would like to have UL 750 plan but my budget will not allow me.Thanks for the advice.
    What documents will be required to change my plan?

Thanks again to both of you.
  8. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

9. anand_30

anand_30 New Member

Just read those posts.I am feeling very confused now about way BSNL is behaving to change of plan.

My usage is 1.3Gb(how can it be sooo large).I think they are charging me because I don't restart my modem before 8 a.m. and go on browsing only without any download.

If I apply for change of plan from today only,not next month,bsnl will charge me for that extra 550 MB???

How many days will it require to change plan by them once i submit application?
    There is an entry about Security Deposit = One Month charges
    Do I need to pay it now?i don't remember but I think I haven't paid any of these for change from 250 home to 500C,one year back?
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  10. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

For nptelhrd lectures I think 600 combo would be fine.....
    I download and watch rather than spending time waiting to buffer.....
  11. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Use Firefox browser with add on adblock plus and NoScript.
    You could block advts/popups/flash/etc from web pages you regularly visit.
    For instance I disable above (sometimes) to see advts here in this forum.
    at least 40% d/l is avoided. from each web site/page

When you select a tariff plan consider :
    Monthly budget for Internet and L/L phone ______________
    Hours you can spend /need Internet connection _____________
    Speed of the plan _____________-
    Nature of surfing _________________
    email/info/forum/online tests/watching video/listening to songs/download torrents/
    VOIP/ skype etc.
    No of free telephone calls average needed per month >>>>_____________
    Telephone rental ........ _________________
    500C speed 2 Mbps 256KB/sec
    512 Kbps ............. 64 KB/sec ( 4 times slower)
    256 Kbps ...................32KB/sec ( 8 times slower than 500C)

Free down load 06-08 AM say 15 MB/minute you download 1.8 GB .
    ( with Home 500C in 2 hours ).
    02-06AM can be scheduled or ignored. No need to cut sleep hours.

Caclulate for other speeds.(256Kbps 16 hours 512 Kbps 8 hours )
    All speeds for ideal conditions. In practice you may get 60% to 80%

select suitable plan.
  12. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

@essbebe
    I was also using NoScript until recently, but got fed up every time i need to see some content I had to disable NoScript on that page.... :(
    Right now, I'm using AdBlockPlus with FlashBlock..... Does almost the same function.... :)
  13. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

I too ,use. flash block.
    NoScript is also needed for blocking scripts.
    some Add ons were given as illustration and not a complete list.
    Even Google chrome/Opera can be used , but not sure/familiar about add ons there.
  14. anand_30

anand_30 New Member

Thank you hitler517,I also think UL625 is the better option.
    and thank you essbebe for such a nice guide,I just installed NoScript,and also have ADblockplus installed.I will also try Flash block told by hitler517.
  15. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Do take care to reboot the modem at say 7.55 am. You need not pay anything now, instead the advance amount will be covered in your next bill. Any plan above Rs. 500 need to pay one month rent as advance.

True, you won't get the full 1.5 GB if your plan is changed this month. There is nothing we could do.

Normally they can set up your new plan in a week's time. But you need to do follow ups call at the exchange where you give the application. The delay is mainly due to the time taken by administration staff to pass it to technical department and from there to Bangalore.
  16. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  17. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Finally something to cheer about. It was there since a long time. Checked my logs. Here is the screen shot

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. anand_30

anand_30 New Member

Applied for plan change to UL 625 today.I was told that plan change will take place in 3 or 4 days.But I think it will take at least a week.

So here I am waiting for unlimited INTERNET and thanking all of you who helped me.
  19. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Happy for you. Make regular follow up calls for better results.
  20. suvo

suvo Member

congo on your new plan.
    post here when its done.