Tweaks For Better Browsing Performance

Discussion in 'Broadband How to' started by The One, Apr 5, 2009.

1. The One

The One Guest

I have started this thread following a post of meetdilip, where he asked to share some of the tweaks that I use to optimize my internet performance. :)

There are actually loads of ways of tweaking a system to get better internet performance. I mean that, whenever I am on a new OS, or a fresh installation of Firefox, I just type in "about:config" in my address bar and go on playing with some of the values until everything gets right. I enable pipelining, and change the maximum number of connections and all, and go on with some of such settings. For other browsers, I use their respective address to get into configuration zone, and go on till everything gets better. Now, I have decided some constant values for everything. But, the best value may vary for different people.

And, there are some registry tweaks also that one can do to get better speeds.

I shall be considering Firefox and XP as they are the "Universal Choices" (atleast at the moment) while writing this.

TWEAKS BEGIN HERE

I. Registry Tweaks

(i) Disabling a feature of Windows Explorer that looks for scheduled tasks on remote computers
    1) Go to Start>Run.
    2)Type "regedit" and press Enter key.
    3) Then, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > RemoteComputer > NameSpace
    (Ohh! That was some navigation ;))
    4) In the NameSpace folder, you shall find "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}", which tells Explorer to show printers shared on the remote machine. The other, "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}" tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks. This is the one that you should delete. This can be done by right-clicking the name of the key and selecting Delete.

Note: If you have no use for viewing remote shared printers and are really only interested in shared files, consider deleting the printers key, "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}", as well. This will also boost your browsing speed.
    You should restart teh system for the changes to take effect. Then, you shall find a good increase in the loading speed of pages (I have, and always do experience it).

You may find more useful registry tweaks. But, I found this to be one of the best (or maybe, it's the best:)).

II. Firefox Tweaks

I suggest that you go on to the following link to find the tweaks, and go on because it would take me so long to write more.

Configure Firefox (Link Edited)

You are welcome to ask any of your doubts regarding any of the procedures here. :)

My sincere thanks to panchabhut for linking up to the Firefox Tweaks.:)

Here are some more Firefox Tweaks that I have found to be useful and were not there in the mentioned thread to which I have linked above:

(i)
    Extend Scripts Execution Time (For slow connections)

In Firefox, a script is only given 10 seconds to respond, after which it will issue a unresponsive script warning. If you are hooked on a slow network connection, you might want to increase the script execution time via dom.max_script_run_time to cut down on the frequency of the no script warning.
    Config name: dom.max_script_run_time
    Default:10 (in secs)
    Modified value: 20, or any values greater than 10

(ii) Lower The Physical Memory Used When Minimized

This is useful if you want to use an extension that is not supported by your version of Firefox badly. It is not recommended, but you can still do it at your own risk.
    Right click and select New->Boolean. Enter extensions.checkCompatibility in the field. Enter False in the next field.
    Right click again and select New->Boolean. Enter extensions.checkUpdateSecurity into the field and enter False into the next field.

(iii) Use of Adblock Plus & Flashblock Add-ons

The Adblock Plus and Flashblock add-ons shall help you greatly in improving your browsing experience. Please read the add-on description in the Add-on page for more details.

And, let me not forget to thank everyone who have helped me in producing this piece of work. My special thanks to the authors of the text files I have referred to. :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2009
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip Guest

Good one. Thank you for the info. :)
  3. panchabhut

panchabhut Active Member

4. The One

The One Guest

5. sb21pro

sb21pro Banned

i am not really experiencing much difference :(
  6. The One

The One Guest

:rolleyes:

I hadn't myself expected the registry tweaks to do much. But, after deleting the two entries, I always get to see a noticeable change in my browsing speed. :)

But, if pipelining max requests and all are set to high values in some connections, it may actually slow down the browsing. So, I suggest that you play on with the values, to see if that is the problem. :)

Maybe it's because you just didn't notice it. ;)

P.S: The first post has been updated again (Firefox Tweaks part). :)
  7. panchabhut

panchabhut Active Member

Thanks dhanesh and also a :thumbup1: for starting this thread :)
  8. The One

The One Guest

If I say thanks to you again, then we will go on saying thanks to each other. ;) :lol:

Sorry for being so late dilip. :eek:

Thanks for the repo. :)
    Noticed it just now. :)
  9. Jaganathsamal

Jaganathsamal New Member

10. ShAdOwCoN

ShAdOwCoN Guest

use twaek network settings add on for FF .... to experience real speed difference while surfing
  11. saurav_k

saurav_k Guest

Thanks for the info Dhanesh. Reps added.
  12. The One

The One Guest

It only does what I have already mentioned/linked to in my first post. :w00t:

We already have it there. This add-on just adds to your add-on list which we could have avoided. And, changing the values manually is not a hard thing. It's so easy that almost anyone can do it. :w00t:And, it also doesn't do everything I have referred to/mentioned here. :w00t:
    ;)

@saurav

Thanks for the repo...:D

:D
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009