Tata Sky provides Wi-Fi dongle for VOD

Discussion in 'Tata sky' started by Preeti_20, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Tata Sky now provides a dongle for their VOD services. Dont get too happy the dongle isnt free, they charge you Rs300 for it, which isnt bad and the installation is free. They did have an introductory offer from 1st June to 15th June which allowed you to get the dongle for only Rs100, thereafter for Rs300.
    The USB dongle connects to the Wi-Fi connection using the set top box, which saves the wires being dragged everywhere. Currently the dongle is only avaliable to those who have Tata Sky in Delhi and Mumbai, aftet a short time it will be available for all customers of Tata Sky in all states.

The technical specifications of the dongle are:
    2x2 dual antenna
    It will work on a 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz
    Dongle will speeds up 300MBPS

Currently the dongle can only be used on Tata Sky set top boxes. If you want to purchase a Wi-Fi dongle you will have to call up the customer service centre and put a request for it. The installer will come to your home and set it up, the payment will also be made to him for which you will receive a receipt.
  2. nevinjohn

nevinjohn Active Member

Another marketing tip. It downloads content from the internet. Will prove expensive if you dont have an unlimited connection, or even exhaust the data package downloading a movie!
  3. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Yeh you can say its another marketing tip. But because they have kept the cost of the dongle low, I think it will sell.
  4. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Do any other DTH providers provide VOD aswell? If they do then do they also provide dongles?
  5. Neetu800

Neetu800 Member

Because the dongle is only Rs300, people will now actually start using VOD services! I mean Rs300 for a dongle is not bad:)
  6. RamJet

RamJet Member

If its a possiability for the dongle to be unlocked or is unlocked then people would purchase it for Rs300 from Tata Sky. Think this is the cheapest dongle as of yet!
  7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Should strictly be used with an unlimited connection. The problem with tata sky VOD is that they only have SD content and most of the movies they have are really old ones. I browsed around for some time then took the LAN cable out once and for all. Not for me.
  8. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

I checked tata sky's website to see what they have on offer in the VOD section and they don't have much atall. Most of the videos are old stuff. Nothing of my interest.
  9. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

The videos that Tata Sky have on their VOD section is nothing but pure rubbish. Its a waste of time, the basic videos which they have on how to make things or about health you can see those kind of videos from you tube.
  10. just4kix

just4kix Guardian Angel Staff Member

Before anyone of us gets bright ideas, lets understand limitations and clauses:

1. The TataSky VoD dongle works with TataSky+ HD DVR only. It will not work with any other STB, not even the TataSky SD STB or the HD STB.
    2. The TS Dongle is not absolutely required. You can connect the TS+ box to router via Ethernet also.
    3. Once you go the TS VOD library, it will display various movies/shows. You have to buy each movie. I believe the cost of a movie is Rs. 25 or so. The movie is SD quality. To people like me, who have got used to HD and that too blu-ray quality (from 2009), this is a big damp squib.
    4. Each movie is approximately 1GB to 1.5GB. The movie will be downloaded and stored to the hard disk of the TataSky+ DVR. How long it will take to download one such movie depends upon the internet speed but 1 hour on an average can be expetced for most people. As admin said, if you intend to use this service, ensure that you have an unlimited download connection.
    5. The VOD library collection is not so great as of now but not bad either. But it will improve over time.
  11. RamJet

RamJet Member

Like you said that the dongle will not work on any other STB, but what about unlocking it? Will it work then?
  12. just4kix

Work for what? If you are specific about what purpose you want to the dongle to work, then maybe there can be an answer.

I am not very sure about this but I believe that the dongle has propreitory firmware that makes it work the way it is. It (firmware) is designed and built for VOD service only. Maybe it can be "cleaned" and "reprogrammed". But still it won't work with any other STB because VOD movie has to be downloaded somewhere and that "somewhere" is the hard disk of the DVR.
  13. just4kix

Update: The TataSky Wi-Fi dongle is not locked or anything like that. It is simply a wireless B/G receiver much like wireless PCI cards for the desktop. All it does it connect the Tatasky+ STB/DVR to the home wireless network. You don't need the TS supplied dongle also - any wireless USB dongle working on wireless B/G/N protocol will work. The STB can also be connected to the home network via ethernet. Once the network connectivity is established, the firmware inside the STB then can connect to the TS-VOD website/library and you can then buy movies. I am not sure about the exact procedure of buying movies but I think that you can buy online from the TV webpage, online direct or maybe just like the Showcase movies (send SMS). But VOD service will work with Tatasky+ (DVR) only (SD or HD).
  14. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Great research J4K..........everyone always knows its J4K who finds out the latest and correct info....:)
  15. guys, similar dongle costs 800-1000 INR. if you are getting it for 300 bucks, then I say buy it from tata sky, and sell it off for a decent profit. :p
    P.S.:I kept mine though.
  16. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I got a call and I refused :( Is this offer still going or what?
  17. Chetan01

Chetan01 Member

Tata Sky are desperate to either keep their customers or make a good impression, they are giving a Rs800-Rs1000 dongle for Rs300 and before for only Rs100.
  18. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Admin this offer is still on, just saw the ad on the Tata Sky channel day before yesterday.
  19. RamJet

RamJet Member

What make model is the dongle? Were you the out of the ones who got it for Rs100 or Rs300?
  20. Tubelight

Tubelight Member

Does the dongle have the Tata Sky logo printed on it, because if someone wanted to sell it, it would be easy to sell without any logos.