Storing Photos On A Cd

I am someone who is into photography and have quite a collection of photos on my desktop, but from the despair of losing these photos I would like to keep a hard copy of them, and was thinking of storing the photos on a CD. The size of one photo file is around 2GB and there are two which are 3GB, would it be possible to put this size of file on CD? I don't like the idea of storing them on cloud or purchasing a new external hard drive.

Preeti_20

I would like to know the answer to this too, as I am someone who is having a bit of a problem getting a backup of my photos. Dropbox isnt really helping much, so if this works out then I think CD's would be the best way of sotrage for my photos.

I would not recommend you storing photos on a CD, because CD's can easily get scarcthed and that would be mean you lose your photos easily. Keep at least 2 backups of photos. I think a USB is a good idea that way you can always add on photos as well.

nevinjohn

I am someone who is into photography and have quite a collection of photos on my desktop, but from the despair of losing these photos I would like to keep a hard copy of them, and was thinking of storing the photos on a CD. The size of one photo file is around 2GB and there are two which are 3GB, would it be possible to put this size of file on CD? I don't like the idea of storing them on cloud or purchasing a new external hard drive.
You can store these files on a CD. You need to have WinRar and compress the files in various parts.
For example, you will have a single 3 Gb folder archived into serveral rar files like... xxxx.rar1, xxx.rar2 and so on. You will eventually burn these "part files" onto many number of CDs depending on the size of the file. You need to label the Cd as 1 of 3, 2 of 3 & 3 of 3 as this sequence is required while retriving the files at a later stage.

When you need the file at a later time, you need to insert these mutiple CDs (in the order sequence) and the files will be extracted to the harddisk.

I store my photos on a CD, but to be honest what members have mentioned about the CD's can get scratched is true so you do need to be careful. You can keep the CD's in a good condition then they can last long.

Preeti_20

You can store these files on a CD. You need to have WinRar and compress the files in various parts.
For example, you will have a single 3 Gb folder archived into serveral rar files like... xxxx.rar1, xxx.rar2 and so on. You will eventually burn these "part files" onto many number of CDs depending on the size of the file. You need to label the Cd as 1 of 3, 2 of 3 & 3 of 3 as this sequence is required while retriving the files at a later stage.

When you need the file at a later time, you need to insert these mutiple CDs (in the order sequence) and the files will be extracted to the harddisk.
That seems like a long task, it would rather be avoided. Any other idea for storing videos?

Optical mediums like CD/DVD are more prone to scratches and corruption. Better option would be getting pen drives or memory cards with a write-protection switch.