Speed on BBG FN 500 Combo Plan

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by Red Devil, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

Hi all,
    I have recently got a BSNL Broadband connection 500 Combo Plan Free Night with speed upto 2 Mbps.

The problem is I am only getting speed of 60-80 kbps max.
    Why is that so? I complained to the BSNL officer but to no use. Can anyone help me.

I have checked the speed on torrents as well as the file host and got the same speed. If I don't get 200 kbps then this connection is of no use to me, so any advice will be really appreciated.

Regards
    RD
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

3. when was ur connection activated...??? it takes upto weeks time to make a speed profile for your plan.
  4. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

5. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

My connection was activated on the 19th of Feb., i.e. it's about 13 days back.

Speedtest results - Images attached

Sorry for being Dumb but I don't have too much idea as to how to use TCP/IP optimizer and from what I have read it make changes in the registry so I just want to know if it's safe to use?? and can anyone guide me as to how to set it up.

Thanks for your help :)

Attached Files:

6. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

@RedDevil
    Too late to avail free download now.

can you check in your usage portal your Tariff plan ?
    if you were given a 14digit Portal Id
    example : red12319022011
    PW password check here.
    data.bsnl.in
    If not selfcare portals. You may have to register first.
    selfcare sites sdc wdc edc ndc depending on region.
    selfcare.wdc.bsnl.co.in example
  7. akash1988

akash1988 New Member

Dont try torrents. Try downloading something with any Download Manager like IDM or DAP. You should be getting speeds above 200.
    A friend of mine was also getting low speed, but it was due to faulty modem. So that might also be the case.

By the way, go for BBG FN Combo 600 plan. Its lot better than 500 combo plan. I use this plan. Rs.600/- per month, 250 free call units, 2.5GB limit, 2Mbps, Night unlimited. So you get 1GB extra limit, and 75 extra free call units only for Rs.100 extra.
  8. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

I am not too worried about the 15 days unlimited plan mate, as the bsnl officer have already screwed that.. lol..

My plan is-
    I today call the lineman and asked him to come and change the complete telephone line of my home.. Hoping that it helps.

Mate I have tried torrents as well as jdownloader and idm but same results :(

Yeah I thought about that plan but I hardly use broadband during day time and I don't make even a single call from my landline so free calls are of no use to me.
    I have tried 3 modems with same results, so the problem is not with the modem.
  9. akash1988

akash1988 New Member

Hmmm as u have stated that u have tried out with 3 modems, but same result. Then its definitely a problem from the BSNL side. Does the telephone make hissing noisy sounds? If yes, then its the telephone cable given by BSNL. The lineman replaced mine as well. Contact the area SDO, to send the Lineman immediately.
    Hope your problem gets fixed soon.
  10. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

Yeah I have called the lineman and he is going to come tomorrow at 12.00. I am going to change the complete cable of my house (entrusted my brother to have that done).

All this for just Rs. 50 :D

God Bless India :p

Hopefully that will solve the problem. Will post the results day after tomorrow as I'll be out of town tomorrow on audit.
  11. arpit

arpit New Member

whats ur speed in this 600 plan?
  12. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Up to 2 Mbps. You will get somewhere around 170 -220 KBps.
  13. akash1988

akash1988 New Member

This 600 plan is upto 2Mbps. I always get speeds above 220KB/Sec.

This is great plan for heavy downloaders. 2.5Gb Limit is enough for normal browsing in day time. And in night time from 2AM to 8AM, I download around 4GB of Data. So I download more than 110GB in a month. ;)

All u need is
    1. Wake up from Standby Software(to make computer wake up from hibernation automatically after 2AM)
    2. Advanced Task Scheduler (to automatically dial into BSNL at specified time)
    3. Internet Download Manager (to schedule downloads for auto downloading in queue)

I just put the things to download in IDM, set the time, Hibernate the computer, and go to sleep. 4GB download complete by morning 8AM.
  14. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

I agree with all points except the highlighted one. 2.5 GB is very less even for normal browsing. You get less than 100 MB per day. BSNL need to upgrade it as the bandwidth limit is more than 2 years old and the bandwidth consumption has sky rocketed during this period.
  15. akash1988

akash1988 New Member

Hmmm I get your statement. But for normal browsing its OK. For heavy browsing, like checking out Large Pics, playing online flash games on Facebook, Orkut, and other heavy sites 2.5GB might be less. So I sometimes have to turn OFF the pics and flash in those sites.
    Still considering how much I download, I dont think there is any other plan within Rs.1000 which could fulfill my download needs.
    Is there any? If anyone knows.

I back your point. They should increase limit, I am willing to pay extra 100-200.
  16. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Your break up is correct. BSNL charges 10/20 paise per extra MB these days. Comes to Rs. 204.80 @ 20 paise and Rs, 102.40 @ 10 paise per GB.

If it were 1 GB for Rs. 100, it would have been fine. Other than Combo 600 plans (that too after excess 5GB), they are giving @ 102.40 making Home 500 combo and Home 600 combo cheapest and most appealing plans in India.
  17. akash1988

akash1988 New Member

Absolutely these plans are delight for downloaders. I was thinking of shifting to BSNL 3G, but they removed Unlimited plans. I dont think any other service provider has such plan as COmbo 500 and 600. Even if we cross extra 500MB, the cost wont be more than Rs.100/- . Plus 20% discount for Govt. Employees is added benefit.
    The only thing required is a premium account of Rapidshare/Hotfile/Fileserve. Because torrents don't do justice to 2Mbps speed.
    By the way, I purchase an account of Rapidgen.net which is cheap and gives me premium access to all the filehosts.
  18. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

Got upto the speed now :) I am getting 200+ speed which is good IMO.

Just have to remove all the parallel phone lines at night to get the speed... Not much of a bother..

BTW I checked my Broadband usage and it's showing the GB's I used at Night also (between 02.00 am to 08.00 am). I asked the BSNL officer in charge and he said nothing to worry when the Bill will come these all will be excluded. Should I trust him or should I be worried?

Regards
    RD
  19. akash1988

akash1988 New Member

Hmm great. How many parallel phone lines did u have? More than 1, affects the speed.

Hmmmm there are two sections in Data usage check:
    "Total Usage", and another "Chargeable Units Excluding Night Unlimited"
    So just see under "Chargeable Units Excluding Night Unlimited" to know how much u have downloaded excluding the night time.
  20. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

I have 3 parallel lines.

I have checked the Usage and under Night Usage it is showing "No Records Found" :confused:

Just got a call from my cousin. He got a Bill of Rs. 8000 plus for January and all the Night Usage have been charged :eek:

Just hope BSNL sort these **** out as they have the Best Plans for Broadband.