Serious issue with BSNL Plan :(

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by AartiG, Jan 22, 2013.

1. AartiG

AartiG New Member

Hello Friends,

We had BB Home Combo ULD 900 plan so far and were getting almost 2Mbps speed with it.
    Due to my sis's office requirement we have to change plan to BBG Speed Combo 2799.
    New plan is running since last 3 days. We didn't change our old modem though (yet) which came with BB Home Combo ULD 900. Even with this new high speed plan we are not seeing any improvements in speed.
    So I need your help in below points...

1> Anyone using BBG Speed Combo 2799? What speed do you get with it?
    2> Should we change the old modem? Is speed issue because of it?
    Since we just want this plan for 4months BSNL told us to pay Rs2200 for getting new modem.

3> We are keeping track of usage using ShaPlus Bandwidth Meter.
    Does that also chew up some upload/download data usage as it continuously run in background?

4> Do we have to reset or do something after we change the plan (to get the new settings in act)??
    At present we just shutdown modem/computer. IS there anything else need to be done?
    5> What else might be causing this slow speed?
    6> is there any way we can find out where the problem is? Any steps to check?

Sorry I'm new to this internet ...so really appreciate your inputs friends.

Thanks,
    Aarti G
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

New modem is not necessary in my opinion. Both plans has a pre FUP speed of 8 Mbps. So you will not find any change before FUP gets over. If you change plan in the middle of the month there are many complications. Shaplus bandmeter is quite a safe application it won't eat up your data. Login to the modem and post the modem stats or complain here http://mis.bsnl.co.in/pgs/internet/pgwebregn.asp
  3. AartiG

AartiG New Member

Thanks. Please let me know what exact modem stats do you want to see?

-- Can someone else also provide their inputs on above 6 points?
  4. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Data rate, SNR, Attenuation.
  5. AartiG

AartiG New Member

Its BSNL UT-300R2U Modem.....What is its IP address and loginID/password?
    I tried 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 but both does not work :(
  6. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Set it as 192.168.1.1 in the TCP/IP properties of your adapter.
  7. AartiG

AartiG New Member

Downstream
    data rate : 2043 kbps
    SNR : 32.85db
    Attenuation : 32.0 db

Upstream
    data rate : 509 kbps
    SNR : 30.5db
    Attenuation : 14.0db

Please let me know if this is good enuf for BBG Speed Combo 2799?
  8. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Ask BSNL to change reset your speed profile in DSLAM. Currently downstream data rate is less.
  9. AartiG

AartiG New Member

But really Im not sure what to tell them exactly....we are in small city and im sure this bsnl guy won't understand above.
    So really appreciate if you can explain more on this "Ask BSNL to change reset your speed profile in DSLAM"?
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Member

Your speed profile is saved in DSLAM(DSL Access Multiplexer) everytime you switch on your modem it syncs with DSLAM and obtains speed profile from DSLAM. When we upgrade to high speed plans from low speed plan and exchange people if they don't upgrade this profile we don't get the promised speed(new plan speed) and the same thing had happened to me and when I asked them they changed it when I was talking to them over phone and asked me to check whether the speed had increased or not and yes I got the new speed.

Just call your exchange people and tell them that even if I upgraded the plan I am not getting the promised speed and ask them change the speed profile in DSLAM.
  11. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Simply say your data rate is less and you have an 8GB connection. Make it to 8 GB or more.