PPPoE Vs Bridge mode....

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by einstein0072004, Jun 6, 2010.

1. einstein0072004

einstein0072004 New Member

Hi,

I just still don't know the advantages and disadvantages of pppoe and bridge mode....

All you guys using bridge, why don't you just enlighten us as to what these are and why to use bridge or pppoe.
  2. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

3. Indranil

Indranil Member

There is no big deference between Bridge mode and PPPOE mode.
    In bridge mode your computer are detectable or connectable from the others computer in a Public Network, In bridge mode you are allwase in Public Network, as you are in Public Network so there is some security issue.

In PPPOE mode you are in Private Network, you are in behind NAT. You are not connectable or visible from the Public Network.
  4. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

Well I have one doubt regarding pppoe mode...

Is it possible to create a dialler for pppoe mode?
  5. Indranil

Indranil Member

What dose it mean :confused:
  6. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

I mean, when you configure modem in pppoe mode, you enter the username and password during setup. I think if we choose to keep it blank, then we can dial into pppoe mode just like bridge mode.
  7. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

Then it will become Bridge mode.
  8. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

"Bridged" "Dialer"mode preferred for auto schedulers ( free NU.) Also all ports are open. As you have to enter a password to connect , others cannot use your system.

PPP/PPPoE "Always On" connection used for Portforwarding/ applications. System connects to Internet without above restriction.
  9. just4kix

just4kix Guardian Angel Staff Member

No. That is not possible.
  10. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

Thanks j4K.... I had this doubt all the time.... :)
  11. just4kix

The reason is when the modem is set in PPPoE mode, it will use the internally stored user-id/pwd to login. This is of course blank and hence it cannot login.

And if you create an external dialer application for the purpose, the dialer application will continue to get "line busy" signal.
  12. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

@just4kix
    Yes that`s right......
  13. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

Hmm... Then why is the dialler in Windows called pppoe dialler? ;)
  14. cool_techie_tvm

cool_techie_tvm Amor vincit omnia

Most of the DSL providers name the underlying technology as PPPoE (point to point protocol over ethernet).
  15. just4kix

Yes. Whenther bridge or PPPoE, the underlying technology is the same, i.e., PPPoE.
  16. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

I messed up my system with wamp and appserv... So I can't login to 192.168.1.1.
    When I login, I will try a dialler for pppoe.... :)