Mobile Broadband In Bangalore

Hello,

I am going to be working in India starting October so I am here to gather some information about internet connectivity in India. I would be initially working in Bangalore and then at Mumbai with occasional visits to Chennai and NewDelhi.

Here are a few queries I have if some one would be kind enough to provide me this information:

1. Is there any mobile broadband service that works seamlessly at all the places I am going to be working at?
  2. If the there is indeed a service that would cover all these places then would that carry some sort of roaming charge for data even though it is all withing the same country?
  3. How much should I be expecting to pay for using about 30-40GB per month?
  4. What is the speed for a 3G connection in India and the upload speeds as I will be uploading files where ever I go.
  5. How much time does it take to get a new connection
  6. Are there any restrictions for forigners to buy a sim card just off the counter?
  7. Are pay as you use/pay as you go tariffs available where I make the payment upfront as opposed to paying a monthly bill?
  8. What frequency is used for 3G? Would a 3G modem from Europe work in India or do I need to buy one from India?
  9. How do I remove the avatar which came up automatically while registering as I never uploaded it. Probably pulled it from facebook or gravatar I am not sure but I never conscented for my picture to be used here. Please let me know if I should be starting a new thread for this one.
Thanks
Rebecca

Airtel is a good service provider which gives good coverage and speeds all over India. Other options you can choose from include BSNL and Vodafone.

Preeti_20

Vodafone is a good option for Bangalore and as RamJet mentioned you can also try for Airtel and BSNL, but out of Airtel and BSNL I would go for BSNL.

nevinjohn

1. Is there any mobile broadband service that works seamlessly at all the places I am going to be working at?
  • All service providers have seamless connectivity through out India, although I wouldn't recommend Reliance or TATA. You may choose from Vodafone, Airtel, Aircell, Idea. These are the best.
  1. If the there is indeed a service that would cover all these places then would that carry some sort of roaming charge for data even though it is all withing the same country?
  • No, all service providers have limited access when it comes to data roaming, although 2G data would still be available all over India in roaming network as well.
  1. How much should I be expecting to pay for using about 30-40GB per month?
  • The maximum you can use is 10GB, post that the speed throttles.
  1. What is the speed for a 3G connection in India and the upload speeds as I will be uploading files where ever I go.
  • Close to 12Mbps (as far as I have experienced with my connection)
  1. How much time does it take to get a new connection
  • 24 hours, and since you're a foreigner, they do some verification calls to any of your friends/office staff here in India.
  1. Are there any restrictions for forigners to buy a sim card just off the counter?
  • No.. Just give an identity proof (a copy of the passport would do)
  1. Are pay as you use/pay as you go tariffs available where I make the payment upfront as opposed to paying a monthly bill?
  • Yes.
  1. What frequency is used for 3G? Would a 3G modem from Europe work in India or do I need to buy one from India?
  • Most service provides insists to use their own devices, but the standards are all the same. It will work. I'd suggest that you declare in customs also. They are very pesky with satellite phones, as its illegal in India.
  1. How do I remove the avatar which came up automatically while registering as I never uploaded it. Probably pulled it from facebook or gravatar I am not sure but I never conscented for my picture to be used here. Please let me know if I should be starting a new thread for this one.
  • No need for a new thread. Click on the "profile page" under your name and you may edit it, and you look beautiful.

Welcome to Incredible India! :):):)