Long line modems

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by pollachiuser, Sep 8, 2008.

1. pollachiuser

pollachiuser New Member

I have BSNL UL750. The distance from exchange to my place is 7km. The SNR margin is low (8 to 12). I am thinking of buying a modem that can work well in long lines. please help me with suggestions.
  2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Platinum Member

i am not sure but you have to test for yourself which modem will work with low SNR.in your other post you mentioned that modem works fine for first few months so i doubt that the problem is due to distance now.i think you can easily get a SNR of 13-14 even at such distance as length of line mainly affects Attn values.
  3. SmoothVibes

SmoothVibes Super Moderator Staff Member

thats a Long Line Warning problem and if your SNR is very low as you said between 8 to 12 then just walk up to your exchange once and speak to them about SSFP socket, if it is available then get that installed at home. It is somewhere similar to splitter provided by BSNL but it is built inside socket only and it is kind of signal booster as well. In UK most of the people who live far from exchange get this installed so please check with your local exchange too if they can provide you same or not
  4. superprash2003

superprash2003 New Member

ensure that telephones are connected after splitter.. are you facing disconnections??
  5. SmoothVibes

SmoothVibes Super Moderator Staff Member

yes please.. he must be facing intermittent connection coz in most of the long line issues people face disconnection and sometimes not able to connect at all... coz the line keeps on loosing signal strength, this can lead to slow speed, disconnection or no connection.