Legality of VOIP

Discussion in 'Voice over IP' started by viziks, Jan 10, 2009.

1. viziks

viziks New Member

Hello Guys!
    I want to understand the legality of using VOip in India now.
    Originally VOIP telephony was banned,then VOIP calls to outside India were allowed ( PC to PSTN) outside India and since last years changes VOIP calling is allowed in India,but in what Form?
    Is it legal to subscribe to any of the VOIP providers Like Callcentric,Teleblend,Skype ,Vonage etc?
    Can I legally buy a US or UK telephone number for use in India?
    Is termination of VOIP calls to PSTN in India now legal?
    MTNL in India offers official VOIP services in India albeit only for internal calling on MTNL network and outside India.
    Please direct me to some source where we can get Authentic information on this Subject.
  2. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

cant say for certain, but im pretty sure that subscribing to VOIP services such as Skype is legal!
  3. dnash

dnash New Member

4. panchabhut

panchabhut Active Member

While TRAI had recommended unrestricted internet telephony, the Govt. is yet to take a final decision or issue the enabling notification in this regard.
    So as of now, VOIP calls to normal Indian PSTN/Mobile phones are still illegal in India.
    And in the wake of the Mubmai massacre, they may not be legalised for a long time.
  5. just4kix

just4kix Guardian Angel Staff Member

All telephone networks in India (BSNL, MTNL, Airtel, Reliance, etc.) will charge call termination charges. So even if you have VOIP, you will still be paying quite a bit.

a) First there is internet usage (unless you are on UL plan).
    b) Secondly call termination charges could be as high as 50 p per minute.

BSNL provides one-India plan where all STD calls are charged at Re. 1 (Rs. 1.1236 incl tax) per minute.
  6. DM111PUSP

DM111PUSP New Member

In the name of Legal issues the govt is trying to ban the VOIP revolution, when almost entire world is getting benifited with it.
    Sooner or later they will have to allow it in India also..
  7. Gary4gar

Gary4gar New Member

Govt has banned VOIP to protect large telcos and their profits
  8. fdserty

fdserty New Member

Skype is a VOIP service provider, it runs in many countries, no such problem.
  9. panchabhut

panchabhut Active Member

The point-wise answer to the queries of OP,

Is it legal to subscribe to any of the VOIP providers Like Callcentric,Teleblend,Skype ,Vonage etc?
    Yes, as long as no call terminates on Indian PSTN/Mob. no.

Can I legally buy a US or UK telephone number for use in India?
    A US/UK no. can be used if the call terminates in VOIP, not if it terminates in Indian PSTN/Mobile phone

Is termination of VOIP calls to PSTN in India now legal?
    No

MTNL in India offers official VOIP services in India albeit only for internal calling on MTNL network and outside India.
    Correct

And we still await for the opening of full VOIP in India
  10. Gary4gar

Gary4gar New Member

We are not talking about PC to PC calls, they are legal.

But call made to normal circuit switched networks
  11. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

but VOIP means calls made using an ip address, so it includes pc to pc calls aswell!
  12. internet_guy

internet_guy New Member

if we throw out these money sucking polticians,voip will be a legal in india
  13. brad

brad New Member

VOIP to PSTN (US)

HI can someone help me with this issue..where VOIP call originating in India on my Internet Connection to US to the PSTN ..is it legal or not and vice versa again a call from the PSTN in the US landing on a VOIP phone here in India...whats the catch..or whether its illegal.. and if illegal whats the solution like.

Thanks,

Brad
  14. Rushik

Rushik New Member

Yes Buddy its legal...so happy calling...

Regards

//Moderator note: You have not activated your account. Please click on the link in the mail you received from the forum admin in your mailbox. Failure to do so will cause all your posts go into moderation. - just4kix
  15. ritesh9763

ritesh9763 New Member

Hi,

I work for a VAS company in India and daily we recieve abt a million calls made through local PSTN on our IVR platform. Now if we have a server hosted in the U.S then is this legally possible to route these calls over VOIP.
    So what i am asking is Indian PSTN -> IVR Platform -> VOIP -> PC(in U.S).
    Please let me know.
  16. mickey

mickey New Member

Call rates are so cheaper that Indian telecos, wont take the risks of having ip calls in Indian users..
  17. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

@ritesh 9763
    Please explain what is IVR platform !
    I have a Vonage VOIP service. I got an U.S Vonage telephone number.
    all calls free. ( also my relations in Chennai / elsewhere in India with U.S .number )
    No need for PC (computer.) Only Internet BB connection needed.
    Monthly charges $25 for each unit (Box) paid by counterpart in U.S
    MY BSNL Landline 2345xxxx cannot be used in VOIP mode to make calls to U.S.

ANY ISP=== Broadband === modem adsl === VOIP unit (router)===Telephone on H24
    ( Not Indian telephone providers" numbers )

Check in Google : VOIP services in India> or Ooma ,Magic Box etc.
    http://explore.oneindia.in/internet/voip/
  18. ritesh9763

ritesh9763 New Member

By IVR i meant Interactive Voice Response system which is a software platform for handling automated calls. Here the end user is given a tollfree/VMN number and upon dialing that number the call is routed to our system wherein the IVR system plays back the necessary required information to the caller.
    My question was if i want to connect this enduser to any server in the U.S then is it legal to use VOIP for that.
    Enduser calling form his cellphone to the tollfree number ----> Call landing on our system through dedicated PRI from telecom Operator(we are using calling cards for this) -----> Call forwarding to U.S through VOIP...
    I hope i am clear this time... Any help would be greatly appreciated...