Joint Family Vs. Nucleus Family

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by itsmemad, Oct 21, 2008.

?

Which concept u prefer?

1. Joint Family

60.0%
  2. Nuclear Family

40.0%
  1. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

Joint Family Vs. Nuclear Family

In India many families still following joint family concept... And there are many who prefer to go nuclear...

Discuss your thoughts about both here... Consider relation with spouse, parents, children, inlaws etc...

And finally conclude by declaring your preference after marriage with supporting thoughts...

Those who are married can tell why they chose it? And their experience in that concept so far...
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. Archer

Archer New Member

Nuclear Family. The less family members there are in the house, less the problems there will be. :(
  3. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Well i think both are ok joint and nuclear. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, therefore i have not voted, but have written my thoughts!

Living in a joint family is something that depends on how well you can get along with someone and how good the other person if with you and the others in the family. There are advantages of being in a joint family, which include the fact that there is less household expenditure, others can help out when in need.
    The disadvantages which i see in a joint family are that you don't have as much privacy and their may be bickering in the house!

Living nuclear is also good as you get your own privacy, live life as you want without any problems. On the other hand the disadvantage is that when in need for urgent help its not easily there and the other main disadvantages household expenses increase.
  4. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

I think biggest Advantage of a Joint Family is that a working woman can leave her kids with her inlaws... Thats any day better than leaving the kids with unknown person like a hired nanny or neighbors or those kiddie homes(I'm not able to recall its exact name) while on job... What do u have to say on that?
  5. Archer

Archer New Member

I don't know how to explain. But I don't think joint family is any good. I mean joining two or more families is going to cause clash with each other. Each family have there on styles of living. That will definitely cause problems between each members. :(

This is a family ili

BTW. Where is your vote Pal ? :D
  6. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

I've joined this discussion with an open mind... I'm not able to decide yet... thats why I started this thread... After getting more views... I'll come to a conclusion... and vote... :)

btw Vishnu, congrats on ur new handle & ur Avatar is kool...
  7. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

But you have to think that everyone is from the same family and lived together for all their lives, apart from the girls who get married into the house! And obviously when a girl gets married she is told that its joint family! On the whole stress of life is lessened, and if there is a joint family it is big enough to accommodate the extra member who will come into the house!
  8. Archer

Archer New Member

Yes Exactly! that's what I was talking about. It must have been ok in the old day's. But today people go abroad for studying and all that and have different style of living. It won't be that easy to get along with a family that haven't seen outside world and the changes that happened. Well it's just my thought. I do have a little experience living with in a joint family for a while. Was fun till my uncle got married. We used to play cricket together. Now he is just living his own life. :crying:

Joint Family might have been good, But it is not very effective for the present time.
  9. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

So u r hurt cuz he no longer plays cricket with u anymore... :lol: don't worry..in few yrs his children will play with u.... :lol:
  10. Archer

Archer New Member

He only have a daughter. And they moved to New Zealand. But I am not hurt. I only missed those good old day. Guess people have to move with the time don't they ? :)
  11. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

Yeah... Thats right... People have to move forward... But that shouldn't be the reason for opposing Joint Family... Think of the good times u had with him... U never cud have those if u weren't born n brought up in joint family...
  12. Archer

Archer New Member

I will say it again in Bold.

13. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

May be u r right... I'm totally confused at this... I'll have my own family in few yrs... And its gonna be hard for me to leave my parents at old age... Even my GF is single child of her parents... I want to take care of them all... but lets see what the future has in store... Meanwhile I'll just keep a watch on this thread... To know in general... which option will be better...
  14. Archer

Archer New Member

One thing is clear for me now. I wasn't against joint family system in the first place. I simply hated it when it become a nuclear family. I simply hated the change. But for every ones good it was necessary. :)
  15. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

Glad that u have cleared the clouds hovering ur mind... wanna change ur vote or wot? :D
  16. Archer

Archer New Member

No. never. I am still with what I said.

BTW. I liked the dramatic dialog. ;)
  17. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

Maybe I should become a writer in films... I guess I'm good at melodrama... :D
  18. Archer

Archer New Member

Best of luck. You have lots of good ideas in your mind. You will do wonders. :thumbup1:
  19. itsmemad

itsmemad Alligator

Naah... Its OK for me here at this forum... I don't wanna see Javed Akhtar run outta bussiness... His work is not too bad... :lol:
  20. Archer

Archer New Member

If that is what you desire. Well. :rolleyes:
    Anyway I will stay back for other people to shoot there ideas on this topic. :)