Is it true that an ethernet connection is more stable than USB port connection?

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by andy, May 1, 2010.

1. andy

andy Member

I have been using the USB port for my modem connection a long time, but recently I had this problem where the USB link on the modem would turn off abruptly and the only way to restore the connection was to re-boot the computer. This happened irrespective of the number of USB ports used. I had the feeling, there is something wrong with the USB cable, since my 2 external hard-disk were working fine with all the ports. Even changing the USB cable did not have any effect, and then the Technical officer at the local BSNL office told me, that the USB connection of modem to computer is fairly less stable than ethernet. Is this true??:confused:
  2. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

The problem now you are facing is always happens in Windows XP only. This some times also happened with me. The only way i had to solve this problm was to Reinstall XP. I suggest you to change to Vista or windows 7. Thats true LAN conection is better and faster than USB connection.
  3. andy

andy Member

Well, I am using Vista Home Premium SP2.... Nyways thanks for answering.. Found this aritcle on the net...:)

Ethernet vs USB - Which Broadband Modem Interface is Better?
  4. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

ohhh on Vista Home Premium SP2. I have not used internet on Vista ever. So, do not know. But try changing to LAN, this can solve your problem.
  5. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

6. andy

andy Member

Sorry essbebe, the information on my modem in my profile was incomplete. My modem is Nokia Siemens Networks C2110, so upgradation is not required. By the way, I am using LAN now and its working fine. Perhaps, you can write something about this topic of USB vs Ethernet, as I could not find any useful information in this forum and I think it will be helpful to some members. I think its worth it. Found this useful article on net which helped understand this problem a lot better..

Ethernet vs USB - Which Broadband Modem Interface is Better?
  7. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Connect in USB port and try.
    If driver installation fails , you have to get a
    new modem with LAN and USB.
    Instead exchange present modem for a type II / IV having additional LAN ports

Present USB2.0 port Network card transfer
    rate is limited to 11 Mbps.
    whereas in LAN it is 100 Mbps
    ( different to your Internet speed )
    Usually WIFI max 54 Mbps and also 108Mbps.
  8. andy

andy Member

Thanks essbebe. Will do the same and update...:)
  9. just4kix

just4kix Guardian Angel Staff Member

Ethernet is always better than USB anyday. For one, there will be no driver requirement.
  10. adslgeek

adslgeek New Member

The short answer is that USB is no where near as fast, nor as reliable than Eth will ever be.

If given the choice, never go for a USB or PCI DSL based modem.
  11. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Please clarify.
    Ethernet cards/WLAN cards also need drivers.
  12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer New Member

Most of the Ethernet cards don't need any drivers !
  13. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

@SledgeHammer
    You could have waited for @Just4Kix's reply.
    "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread " Proverb.
    see annexure.

http://www.indiabroadband.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7072&stc=1&d=1272770581
    Mention the ethernet card you use, which does not need drivers.
    If "hairsplitting" \ argument that Windows OS drivers will do for ALL/MOST/SOME ethernet /wlan cards , is made , means "drivers" are needed for ethernet LAN cards !
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  14. just4kix

just4kix Guardian Angel Staff Member

Ethernet drivers are built-in inside Windows. There is no need for external drivers.

(p/s. Each and every item of the computer needs a driver. Don't start splitting hairs here. You know perfectly very well what I meant when I said Ethernet does not require drivers.)
  15. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

@Just4Kix.
    No comments.
    @sledgehammer. you are right. Apologies.
  16. imrock

imrock The Master

USB is not even near LAN.LAN is far better.USB u need drivers for different OS and for new ones drivers are not available sometimes.LAN doesn't require any drivers.its just like "Plug and Play".

Yes LAN is better than USB.
  17. rsk11584

rsk11584 New Member

I was using the USB port of my Modem to connect and use internet through the dial up mode (bridge mode, correct me if I am wrong) it worked fine in my PC, but then When i started using the USB in my Dell Laptop with windows XP it started freezing like mad, only option was forced shutdown using power button, again when restarted after 5-10 mins of using net it got freezed , I got very much frustrated then searched on internet and changed the configuration of my modem to PPPoE, (the one in which username password directly entered in modem) then connected my laptop through LAN, now the internet on laptop works fine.

If you have LAN connection at home and want to use internet you can use USB mode since you can track how much internet bandwidth you have used.
  18. andy

andy Member

Well, guys its almost like the experience of the lion getting a taste of the lamb and now will never look back on the soyabeans:D:D ... LAN working perfectly fine on my laptop (it had all the drivers inbuilt).

@rsk11584
    My experience was similar to that of yours but now it's all resolved. Thanx for the replies..:)
  19. ben10000

ben10000 New Member

ethernet is very stable than usb. i had usb modem first and i got low speed and poor connectivity. but after switching to ethernet ports the speeds were normal and the connectivity was also doing well.
  20. Rockfella

Rockfella New Member

I second that thought i don't have any technical knowhows about why and how it is possible but i always prefer "wired" ethernet connection! :)