How to find your stolen laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop' started by Rameshjeee, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Rameshjeee

Rameshjeee Good to be Back

How to find your stolen laptop​

This peice of info might be useful to all laptop users...

These days it has become easy to track a stolen laptop, courtesy, large number of laptop-recovery software. Most of these software automatically transmits the location of the device back to a central server.

However, according to several experts, these theft-tracking software also make a user's laptop more vulnerable to spying.

To tackle this, researchers at the University of Washington and the University of California, San Diego, have developed a free software that records location information in such a way that only a legitimate user can get access to it.

Most of the laptop-tracking software periodically update a database with data related to the laptop's physical location, such as its current IP address and local network topology. While this data helps the security agencies to track the laptop they also help monitor the user's movement if the data is compromised.

Called Adeona, it uses several cryptographic techniques to keep location information secure. Like the other software, the laptop running the software still sends location information to a central database, just that the data is encrypted so that it cannot be read without a private cryptographic key.

Adeona works with Windows, Macintosh and Linux. For Mac users, it has an add-on that regularly takes photographs using the laptop's built-in camera, to provide further evidence to the police.

The researchers are currently working on a version of Adeona for the iPhone.

Courtesy: How to find your stolen laptop - Timesofindia
  2. Preeti_20

Preeti_20 Active Member

Thanks for that info it was really helpful
  3. SmoothVibes

SmoothVibes Super Moderator Staff Member

ohh this is great info if it really works
  4. rohitbarjatya

rohitbarjatya New Member

really nice subject
    thans u for this!!!
  5. bloodyblade555

bloodyblade555 New Member

thanks for the info.... it was really useful...
  6. sfabobby03

sfabobby03 New Member

I'm going to look into this further. I have lost a laptop before as it was stolen from my car. I hope this works. I'm going to try it on my current laptop.
  7. Mr.Tooth Fairy

Mr.Tooth Fairy New Member

so anyone tried this? reviews plz..
  8. StarK

StarK New Member

great post.. might be useful in future. rep+
  9. DalmeKaala

DalmeKaala New Member

This Adeona thing is a H/W feature or a OS ccomponent.

Anyway this concept is subjected to privacy and should die.
  10. Logik

Logik New Member

what if i just format the laptop......reset the cmos settings.....huh?? how ur gonna track me??
  11. StarK

StarK New Member

have u stolen somebody's lappy logik :mad:!?

:lol:

but the point is true...
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  12. Jaganathsamal

Jaganathsamal New Member

Finding a stolen laptop is not practically possible bcoz even if u use such software, the thief may format ur laptop or may reinstall the operating system (or use a new one)
  13. Punch Farce

Punch Farce New Member

personally for me

privacy > laptop.

-F
  14. Logik

Logik New Member

y don't u PM me ur address........i will be happy to clear ur pocket first. :D
  15. nivin

nivin New Member

its just an os component.
    its not worth
    it may be usefull only when the thief is a big fool.
  16. SmoothVibes

SmoothVibes Super Moderator Staff Member

My friend lost his laptop in evening and this software was not installed in his laptop, so do we have any idea or option to trace the stolen laptop.

My friend is looking for my help and i have no idea about this subject :(
  17. John Sed

John Sed New Member

I can recommend Protemac Logintrap for mac users. I'm on mac and use this to protect my mac against theft.
  18. charybdis_scylla

charybdis_scylla New Member

nice read..........