How to boot from pen drive?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Mr.Tooth Fairy, May 25, 2009.

1. Mr.Tooth Fairy

Mr.Tooth Fairy New Member

hi friends, i would like to know how to boot from pen drive forr installing an OS.. i mean as per a bootable cd or dvd is there.. when we reboot.. we can boot the cd.. by pressing any key ... (when we get display message " press any key to boot from cd/dvd" ) is that same thing possible from pen drive?

I tried to change in BIOS setting.. changing boot configuration from cd drive to usb .. but it dint worked.. is there any possible way for it?
  2. kirankumargb

kirankumargb Guest

Yes you can make it. I have made my MMC card of mobile bootable,

Just follow the Instructions here and will get it done.

Boot From A USB Flash Drive
  3. newprouser

newprouser Guest

Win XP setup will not run properly from USB, however you can easily run Vista or Win 7 setup from USB using the procedure below

http://www.indiabroadband.net/windows/11872-run-vista-setup-usb.html

Usually u have to set the USB to be bootable from BIOS.

I generally use F8 which bring up a menu from which I can use which device to boot from ie HDD or CD or USB (I hav Intel Mobo) .
  4. Mr.Tooth Fairy

now y is tht so np.. y not xp?? u always have something hatke!!! answers..
  5. newprouser

newprouser Guest

Let's just say, it is so by "design". If all you have is a single partition , that is , your HDD has only C:\ drive and no other partition , then it can work. Still the process is tedious.
  6. Mr.Tooth Fairy

hm ok ... i will try out ur n KK method of booting from pen drive. thanks all of u ppl..
  7. Mr.Tooth Fairy

hi guys..i wanna install now xp on my pc... i have already win 7. cant i simply run the set up from hard drive?? i want to keep win 7. i wanna install xp in seperate partition so tht i can have dual boot.. but when i run the setup.. installation tab is not highlighter.. what should i do?? i m not able to figure out tht stuff of booting from pen drive...

i m still wondering.. i mean i use to install win 7 just by running the set up over existing os.. if i dont wanna format the hdd or repartition.. but this xp is not getting done..

any advises??:cool::cool::cool:
  8. Praveen_puchala

Praveen_puchala New Member

thanks for the help buddy...
  9. birender

birender Guest

it depends on your BOIS if it have that feature earlier BOIS don't have that features.... you must update your BOIS problem if your vendor have any latest version....

Birender
  10. imrock

imrock The Master

Hey guys!
    tell me how to boot xp from pen drive???

my cousin needs it seriously.
  11. tyler

tyler New Member

Yes, this is very important. You should probably check this before going through all the problems of making the USB bootable as if the BIOS doesn't give you that option to boot from USB then there is no point of going through the trouble.

Good luck!
  12. rajiv

rajiv New Member

how to boot the os from pen drive

how to boot the os from pen drive----
  13. birender

birender Guest

by simply changing the bios setting are not take you to the USB booting you need have have boot record on USB stick then only you get the message press any key to continue..

software are available which can make the image of a CD to USB drivers after that you can enjoy the USB booting.
  14. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

15. stick0

stick0 New Member

My friend had his DVD ROm problem so i did this through this and it was done successfully.;)
  16. jackson

jackson New Member

Hi according to me how to boot your system trough of pen derive
    For starters this is still a new science and many people have had good luck with at least one of these methods and others have not. Note that flash drives are often also called thumb drives, keychain drives, pendrives, etc. The NEWEST methods are listed last on this page, starting with Method 6 for Vista/Win7
    A FEW THINGS YOU NEED TO CONSIDER IN ADVANCE.
    1. The PC has to support booting from a USB flash/pen/key drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip. Of course there are exceptions, perhaps some are covered here.
    2. The USB flash drive must support booting from it in general.
    3. The flash drive must contain the boot/system files.
    4. The flash drive must have boot sector area. This is done with special utilities.
    5. References to "A:" drive lines in the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys files you copy to the drive after you make it bootable may result in errors.
    6. You "may" have to format your floppy disk first in WinXP before you create a boot disk as XP may "not" like working later on with a disk formatted otherwise.
    7. Included below is a bootable ISO of DOS 7.1 which may be used with some of these methods if you do not have a 1.44 drive.
    Method – Make Put a bootable floppy disk in your A: drive or create one using Windows.
    Download mkbt20.zip and unpack to to new temp folder you create.
    Go to the temp folder.
    Extract the boot sector from the bootable floppy disk. eg Open a DOS Window and go to the directory where you extracted MKBT. Type:
    mkbt -c a: bootsect.bin
    The boot sectors from the bootable floppy disk have just been saved to a file in the temp folder you created.
    Format the flash drive in FAT or FAT16.
    Copy the boot sector to the flash drive. Open a DOS Window and go to the folder where you extracted MKBT. Type:
    mkbt -x bootsect.bin Z:
    "Z" represents the flash drive drive Letter. So if your flash drive has another drive letter, then change the "Z" accordingly.
    Now you can [grin] "should" be able to copy the utils you need to the pen drive.
    Thanks!!!!
    jackson
  17. alokmis

alokmis Banned

What if the installation process is not properly followed or certain steps are not taken properly what could be the loss pertaining to booting?
  18. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

Nothing..........
    The extreme will be your OS will not work and you will have to again install it.:(
  19. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

From my experience, installing xp from usb didn't work properly....
    However, I did manage to do it with Vista and Windows 7..........
    I'm using a Gigabyte board now.... These days something has gone wrong with it....
    It no longer boots with the usb..... :(

I think I accidentally rebooted with usb sometime back.... Maybe the bios got corrupted or something....
  20. jegavelan

jegavelan New Member

Hi

Thanks nice info i will try