Download Speed is good but You tube streaming is slow

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by thanksnet, Feb 27, 2011.

1. thanksnet

thanksnet New Member

Guys,

I am using BSNL 4MBPS plan.. download speed is really good but Online streaming and youtube are really slow.. even its buffers for a 2 mb file.. what might be the problem and any idea to improve the speed ?

Pls help me..

Thanks,
    Vijay
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Did you checked your speed ? Are you really getting 4 Mbps ? What is the speed you are getting on downloads. Certain amount of buffering is there in YouTube even if you use a high speed connection. There is nothing much we can do. Some people suggest Speedbit Video Accelerator from DAP. You give it a try and check.
  3. Avishek

Avishek New Member

If it happens everyday its a matter to think.
    Sometime youtube also have some minor problem which increases buffering time!
    Also if you are doing other things while buffering a video, like playing online games, downloading something then buffering time will increase because of equal bandwidth distribution everywhere
  4. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Certain people believe that YouTube has hidden bandwidth restrictions for Indian users. Not sure how true it is considering many US Video sites has banned Indian IPs.
  5. burciaga

burciaga New Member

Think they prioritise US & Europe
  6. Avishek

Avishek New Member

Sometimes a 7-10 mins video takes 1-2 mins to load... sometimes they take even 8-9 mins to load :(

as far as restrictions,it is set by the uploading parties ....
    people from Germany cant see my youtube dance videos :(
  7. thanksnet

thanksnet New Member

dilip, I check my speed @ Speedtest.net and it shows 512 KBPS.. but when i check it in "dataone.in" . it shows 3.25 MBPS. I dont know which is the correct one.. speed was okay when i download a file and the transfer rate goes nearly 90 KBPS.

Any how thanks for your suggestion and i will try Speed bit.

Avishek no i wont be playing any online games..also it occurs only some times.

Guys,

Thank u all for the information... :) it really helped me ! Thanks again.!

-Vijay
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Try a download from Microsoft, it will give a real idea about your speed. If you are not getting 4 Mbps, you can complain to the SDE of your exchange and get it fixed.
  9. thanksnet

thanksnet New Member

Thanks, Meetdhilip..i will do that..btw..whats is SDE ?
  10. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

SDE = Sub Divisional Engineer. Call customer care and ask his no.