Connecting SmartAX MT882 to TP-Link WR642G

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by nagendra_gd, Jan 26, 2009.

1. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

Hello,

I bought the TP-Link WR642G wireless router to connect it to my existing Huawei SmartAX MT882 modem.

I wired up the connections okay, but can not get the router to connect to the internet.

Some of the things I did while connecting the router:

I chose PPPoE as connection type, keyed in the login & password provided by the ISP.

I assigned the router IP address at 192.168.1.3

I tried setting TCP/IP settings to "detect automatically" as well as with specific gateway and DNS settings (as provided by BSNL).

But with none of these methods could i successfully connect to the internet.

Note that I never tried the wireless yet. I am still trying the wired (LAN)connections.

thanks in advance for some help.

best regards
    Nagendra
  2. cool_techie_tvm

cool_techie_tvm Amor vincit omnia

Firstly decide which one device u need to connect to the internet. Either the wireless router or the wired router.

U can configure the wired router to connect to the internet, just like u used to do in pppoe mode. Connect the wired and wireless devices using a cable.Then disable DHCP on the wireless router. The wireless router will act like a hub in such cases and u can connect multiple pcs.

Note that the cable connecting both devices should be crossover cable.
  3. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. cool_techie_tvm

5. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

Hi again,

thank you for the information.

I am trying to assimilate the info at all the links but struggling with a few basic pieces of configuration i need to get right.

let me ask you all the questions:

1. On the modem (MT 882), do i need to change any settings to make it work with the router?
    - first. do i need to change the WAN type? (presently it is PPP and Connection type PPPoE)? Do i need to change it to RFC2684Bridged or RFC2684Routed?

- second. the DHCP settings on my modem are:
    DHCP Server Enabled
    Starting IP Address 192 . 168 . 1 .
    Ending IP Address 192 . 168 . 1 .

Does any of this need a change? Esp do i leave DHCP enabled on the router?

2. On the Wireless router (WR642G), do i need to change the below settings?
    - Do I disable or enable DHCP?
    - What is a good IP address to assign to it? (say 192.168.2.1)?

Thanks
    Nagendra
  6. cool_techie_tvm

The WAN type present in 882 is showing the technical details of your BSNL connection. No need to tamper with it as your connectivity to BSNL will be affected.

If u want to connect the wireless router to the wired router and to make the wireless router act as a hub, u need to disable DHCP on the wireless router. IP address should be assigned manually to each and everyone of the PCs connected to the wireless router.

If the DHCP is disabled on wireless router the third question doesnt crop up.

IP address of 882 must be 192.168.1.1
    IP address of WR must be 192.168.1.2
    IP address(es) of PCs connected to WR must be 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4 etc etc

Please post if the doubts are still present.
  7. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

Hello again,

I haven't fixed it yet.

Let me present to you the settings I observe and let you review them and find any trouble with them.

The WR settings are as below:
    DHCP Settings
    DHCP Server: Disable
    Start IP Address: 192.168.1.3
    End IP Address: 192.168.1.199
    Default Gateway: (optional)
    Default Domain: (optional)
    Primary DNS: (optional)
    Secondary DNS: (optional)

Router Status
    Firmware Version: 3.7.2 Build 071123 Rel.38867n
    Hardware Version: WR641G/642G v3 08118989

LAN
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Wireless
    Wireless Radio: Enabled
    Name (SSID): TP-LINK
    Channel: 6
    Mode: 108Mbps (Dynamic)
    MAC Address: 00-1D-0F-CC-55-DC
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2

WAN
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0 PPPoE
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    DNS Server: 0.0.0.0 , 0.0.0.0

Does this point to any configuration errors?

Thanks again.

Nagendra
  8. cool_techie_tvm

Ok, did u check the 882? Is it getting connected to BSNL? Does the mentioned values include the 882 status too?
  9. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

No, all the mentioned values are from the WR. In fact, if I connect the WR, I am no longer able to ping the MT. that is, i can not ping 192.168.1.1 anymore.

The MT 882 if connected directly to the laptop, the laptop is connecting to the internet.

Which settings of the MT 882 would you like to observe?

i can post them right away.
  10. cool_techie_tvm

Sorry for the delay in replay, power failure in here. Please answer the following queries.

1) What is the purpose of WR? U want to access net utilizing wifi in laptop?

2) How many PCs or laptops are involved?
  11. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

Oh well, i want to be able to access the internet from 2 laptops at home. That is the main reason for the wireless router.

For testing, i am still connecting the laptop to the wireless router through a LAN cable.

Thanks
    Nagendra

I am not sure I made my response clear.

Yes, I want to be able to setup Wifi connectivity to the internet from both laptops via the wireless router.

For now, I am connecting the laptop via LAN cable to the router, just to ensure i first establish connectivity before trying the wireless mode.

--Nagendra
  12. cool_techie_tvm

Ok, so its better to eliminate the 882 from the scene. And configure the WR to work with BSNL in pppoe. Once WR is successful in establishing a connection with BSNL, then u can easily configure both the laptops for wireless access.
  13. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

I dont think I understood what you meant.

The WR 642G is a wireless router only, can not act as the modem.

So, I will need to connect my MT 882 modem to the BSNL phone line. Its Ethernet output goes into the wireless router. The router has both wifi and 4 wired ports (LAN ports). I have connected one of the ports to the laptop.

Can you explain what you meant by "eliminating MT from the scene"?

thanks
    Nagendra
  14. cool_techie_tvm

The wireless router which u mentioned is not just a wireless repeater. It can be configured to do the functionality of the MT882 ie it is a router. So once we get the wireless router to connect with BSNL, then its easy as a pie.

Edit : My mistake, it does seem to be a wireless repeater. Just downloaded the spec sheet from the website. Use the guides found in http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.asp?a=1&m=TL-WR642G to configure the repeater.
  15. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

No problem. So assuming i will need to keep the MT882 connected to the BSNL phone line, and connect the WR to it, what would be the expected settings on the WR?

I posted the settings on the WR earlier, would any of them need to change?

Well I just saw your update with the links to the manuals, let me see what i find in them.

thanks again for your continued help
    Nagendra

Hmm. the link you sent indicates three versions (v1, v2, v3) of the product, and tells how to discern the version you have. I find that my version is 3.5! No such version is reported at their website!

I am not sure I want to do firmware upgrade etc since that might just make matters more confusing.

Now that you know what I am trying to do, can you find any obvious faults with my setup parameters specified in the WR settings?

-- nagendra
  16. cool_techie_tvm

Try the v3. Since v3.5 must have come after v3, there must be minor changes only. This link http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/200865140530.pdf may also come handy.
  17. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

1.Confirm, you can
    connect to Internet with MT882 modem.
    either laptop.
    Go step by step.
    2.Post ipconfig/all data of one laptop .
    3.Then download the manuals as mentioned earlier.

4.I don't have the wifi router
    manual 86 pages PDF format and downloaded the same
    for reference and guidance to you.

Para two:

5.Wireless settings also will have to wait.
    6.From the WIFI router LAN1 to laptop1 / or laptop2 to be tried.

7.Then finally WIFI.
    8.Then security keys.
    9.Plenty of guides available. steps are almost same except the pages may look different and may be with addl facilities.
    Your WIFI router seems to be Linksy's or Dlink's type/. equivalent.
  18. cool_techie_tvm

That was what which had got me confused in the first place. Its not a wireless router. Its just a wireless repeater. Means we have to supply the output of MT882 as input to this wireless device and it will transmit using wifi. Just like the ones found in offices.
  19. nagendra_gd

nagendra_gd New Member

I would post the MT 882 settings tonight and continue the investigation in the night today. I will be able to dig into this around 9:30pm tonight.

thanks
    -Nagendra
  20. cool_techie_tvm

Make sure to take a sneak peek into the last pdf file provided by me. I myself have downloaded the pdf and its pretty straightforward. U just need to get the MT 880 working. The rest of configuration details are given in the manual. Do accordingly please. :)

http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/200865140530.pdf