Change your XP service pack 2 to 3 without installation

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ashishcw, Feb 18, 2010.

1. ashishcw

ashishcw New Member

Guys,
    Now days most of the softwares and New games don't run on XP Service pack 2 so, here is the superway to change windows XP service pack 2 to service pack 3 without any installationor formating.

Below are the simple steps.

Step 1: Run Regedit by Clicking on Start -> Run , type in regedit and press enter

Step 2: Make a backup of your registry (just in case)

Step 3: Browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ Windows"

Step 4: Modify the value of "CSDVersion" from "0x00000200" (SP2) to the Windows XP SP3 value of "0x00000300"

Step 5: Close registry editor

Step 6: Reboot

Hope It Helps!!!
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Good one .....................
  3. Aboosoft

Aboosoft New Member

That's fantastic one.. but it'll not have any effect of SP3 by security updates and fixed holes, although it may help to get rid from some compatibility issues as you told.. really helpful..:)
  4. ashishcw

ashishcw New Member

Thanks Dilip..

Thanks Aboosoft...Yeah Its a nice trick...Yeap...but its just to fool your machine to run the game or software without updating single thing....Enjoy...:D
  5. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. imrock

imrock The Master

7. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

It will only change the name from sp2 to sp3 but actually do not upgrade the things and remove bugs that is in the setup of sp3, and may can cause problems.
  8. imrock

imrock The Master

but this will also trick the computer for compatibility issues.
  9. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

I think @gagan4392 comments are correct.
    REP+ ( sorry you have to wait ).
    Sp3 only updates Security patchesSP2 in and does not change significantly other
    files.
    Anyway advice in Step 2 MUST be followed.
    Try: change the Windows XP Sp3 value to "0x00000600" without any difference in performance.

@ashishcw
    Please give more technical details.
    There is no "compatibility mode" involved by this change.
    Similar to changing title "Internet Explorer by essbebe!"
    will appear on top when you open the IE browser.

Download size from 60 MB to xxx MB for SP3 varies depending the version of OS XP Home XP pro etc.

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  10. ashishcw

ashishcw New Member

But what if one has bought the game and don't want to upgrade the system (Like me). :confused:

thanks imrock:D

Exactly my point is the same too. I do understand gaggan4392 but as i mentioned in the thread that this is just to fool your system :D to run the new games and the softwares. It wont give you any Advantage of SP3 nor it will harm your system :rolleyes:...It just a trick which helps to solve compatibility issues for games and softwares :p.

@ essebebe
    Yes, essbebe It wont give you any other updates like security or any other patches.

Like for GTA 4 (PC Game) minimum OS system required "Microsoft XP service pack 3 or higher". So in this case I don't have to download and Install the whole of the update which something about 340 MB. So, Then I used this trick, and till date no problems.:cool:
  11. gaggan4392

gaggan4392 New Member

For the people, not having internet connection at there home or using dial-up, will be good.
    rep ++
  12. ashishcw

ashishcw New Member

Thanks gaggan, yeah its a easy way when people don't have internet or dial-up connection....