BSNL USB Cable to connect BSNL Broadband modem to laptop

Discussion in 'BSNL broadband' started by pranit25, May 15, 2011.

1. pranit25

pranit25 New Member

Hello:
    I heard there's a usb cable that can be used to connect the BSNL Broadband Modem directly to the laptop, the reason I ask is that I am travelling from the US to India and am going to an area in Kerala with frequent power outages during the monsoon (beginning in June), so I just want to have uninterrupted internet which will work even during the power outage and I heard that there is a USB Cable (I've attached a file that contains its image, please look at that one) that can connect the modem directly to the laptop so that internet will work even with power outage. Can someone please let me know the USB Cable to use for this purpose, what is the name of it, and where do I get it from?
    By the way how do I find out if BSNL 3g Laptop Data Card is available or not in my area in Kerala, I went to their website but theres no link there to this information.
    Regards,
    Pranit

Attached Files:

2. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. pranit25

pranit25 New Member

BSNL broadband

Many thanks Essebe, oops I forgot to mention the town in Kerala I am visiting, its Payyannur. I am seeing Payyanur in the coverage map but am a little confused since some of the areas in Kannur district are shaded red while some are not, can you check and see if you see Payyanur to be covered, does the fact that its mentioned in the map mean that it is covered, bit confused by that?
    Also, Essebe if Payannur is covered, whats the procedure for me to get a 3g Data Card, for the other providers my understanding is that we just need to go to the local dealer showroom such as Idea, Airtel, Reliance, Tata etc and they will give us the 3g data card, but for BSNL is there also a local dealer like for the private guys or does one need to apply thru the website, if thru the website, how long does it take to get a 3g data Card?

And hows the speed on 3g, is it 1 mbps download or is that dependent entirely on the area, also how likely is it to be continuous ie. does 3g get disconnected off and on or is it likely to be more permanent than that?
  4. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

Payyanur Kerala near Kannur (3G)

As the distance is more ( map scale not given ) you may not get
    3G coverage. By road the distance is 33 Kilometers.
    Try google maps for actual distance. or approx 20 miles.

Air distance ( if the "crow flies" in straight line ) could be
    about 15 to 20 Kms!!

Bsnl has also got Franchisees in most towns.
    Bettter pay by Crossed A/C Payee cheque only !!!

Para two:
    For booking ONLINE Broadband from BSNL see this web site.
    No need to log in.
    http://udaan.bsnl.co.in/

from Google search :
    Tata Docomo Launches Gsm Mobile Service in Kerala | Mobile India

I have procured a TATA DOCOMA pre-paid connection from one retail distributor in Payyanur, Kannur District, Kerala. The retail distributor said that there is no authorised distributor available in Payyanur Town. One authorised distributor is operating in Taliparamba town. Moreover there is three-four retail distributor is now operating in Payyanur town. The tarrif/plan of TATA DOCOMO is very good. There is good network coverage in Payyanur town and upto Onakkunnu, Near Karivellur alongwith NH-17, but there is no network coverage available in Peralam village apprx 1.3 Kms from Onakkunnu. Please do the needful and immediate action to provide better network coverage in and around Peralam Village and which is nearer to NH-17.
  5. pranit25

pranit25 New Member

Payannur, near Kannur, Kerala

many thanks essebe, had one more question, someone i know has someone he knows having 3g BSNL Cell Phone with 3g SIM which works in Payyanur, does having 3g cell phone from BSNL working in Payyanur mean also that BSNL 3g Data Card (USB for laptop) will also work or is that a seperate deal from mobile phone sims?
  6. essbebe

essbebe LEARNER

if you get 3G wifi internet in your GSM 3G enabled phone
    ( freq band diferent in U.S and India , or cdma in U.S)
    the moble can be connected to laptop blue tooth enabled
    or"dongle" cable.

Please post this query in BSNL 3G forum.
    I don't know : sim card may be different for Broadband ( USB data modem) and cellphone.

UPDATE:seems same SIM card.
    http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/3G/3GHomepage.htm
    From FAQ:
    What are the requirements for mobile broadband ?
    You will be able to enjoy High speed internet and data service even while on the move. You require a 3G handset and subscription for 3G services to use mobile broadband on your handset. In case, you want to connect your laptop or PDA (personal digital assistant) to 3G network, like while moving in a vehicle, you will require to connect your 3G handset to the computer through data cable, infrared or blue tooth. You may also buy a 3G data card and use the same with your computer to access high speed 3G network.

Yes Broadband service has different tariff plans.
    http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...&sig=AHIEtbQTWy0JtZs9h01-M_7C6dI9HkvTfg&pli=1

http://www.bsnl.co.in/service/3G/3G_files/3g.htm
    see at the end for card prices/details.
  7. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

@ pranit25

Buy a USB data card like Huawei UMG 1831 (21.1 mbps) or Huawei K4505 (21.6 mbps) from here (or any other source of your choice)

3G Modem Store- Buy 3G Modems in India-Buy 3G Datacards in India-USB 3G Modem-EDGE/GPRS/HSDPA/UMTS

Better than BSNL specific data cards. You can later use it with other SIM. All you need is to visit a BSNL exchange or a dealer and ask for a 3G SIM (you need to provide some proof like voter's card or ration card).

If 3G SIM is working in a mobile, it will work with data card too. You can either buy a USB modem as suggested above or use a 3G phone and connect it as modem.

Hope this helps. Request admin to move this thread to 3G section for more comments.
  8. pranit25

pranit25 New Member

Thanks

Cool, Many thanks Meet Dilip.
    Also, thanks Essebe and googlebot.
  9. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Always Welcome :)