Branded harddisk or External usb drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Accessories' started by mickey, May 26, 2010.

1. mickey

mickey New Member

My brother has 200gb data on his laptop, and he wants me to save that data on some storage media.

I have some questions. i went to the market and asked for external usb drive and he shown me of western digital, 320 gb for 3200 Rs.
    Than i asked another shopkeeper who shown me a hard disk drive of 500 gb for the cost of around 2500/-...

Now i am confused. There is an option of mobility and there is a option of increased storage inside my desktop, and its also money saving though its not a big cause for the liking. The hard disk he shown me was of seagate. I couldnt find a seagate in the market.

What should i do?? and how do i know if these products are genuine or not??
  2. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Buy a normal hard disc with case. I bought a 500 GB hard disk with external case. It cost around Rs. 700 to me. You can use it just like an USB hard disk. Always buy from a reputed vendor.
  3. mickey

mickey New Member

Hard disk with case Rs. 700/-???? i cant believe this..
    and he shows me a seagate 500gb for 2.5 k... why so much difference..

and if i use a normal disk will it bring problem to the data?? how is a hard disk connected to a desktop externally.? (i never tried ;P)
  4. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

Rs. 700 is the cost of case alone. Once it is inserted into the case, you can just use it like an external hard disk. Just plug in the USB cable to the port and you are ready. It will not affect the data. You can later use the same HDD using SATA.
  5. mickey

mickey New Member

kindly may you post the picture of the same???

and how much can a seagate hdd cost me??

and is it really like a usb thingy??
  6. meetdilip

meetdilip The Wizard

It is not with me. Brother took it with him. You can just walk into any dealer and ask for a 500 GB Seagate or Western Digital HDD. Tell them that you need an external case using which you can connect it through USB. I do not remember the price properly. May be Rajan can help. Hope this helped.
  7. gallardo2450

gallardo2450 Member

I was about buy a Seagate Free Agent Go 500GB Portable Hard Drive (Rs 4600/-) and I asked the retailer to show me a external hard disk.

He showed me a 1 TB IOMEGA external hard disk (Rs 4750/-) and I bought it as I already had a Western Digital 320GB Portable Hard drive.

If you keep moving often then a portable hard drive is good,otherwise a external hard disk is the best.

1 TB portable hard drives cost about 9500/-,so I thought it would make sense to buy a external hard disk.

But when you buy,look out for the brands Buffalo and Lacie as they are good.
  8. Lacie is good for its look, u cannot overview My Book & Freeagent. Anyways good purchase.
  9. gallardo2450

gallardo2450 Member

Very true.Thank you.
  10. rajan1311

rajan1311 Just a member

you can always convert the external hard drive to a portable hard drive using a 3.5" Sata HDD case, which you can get off ebay for some Rs500. This method is advantageous if you go for higher capacity,but you will need external power. You can do the same even with a laptop hard drive (i have done this) which does not require external power, but you dont save much.But the advantage for me was that I took it off an old un-used laptop, added a casing for Rs200 and got myself a portable hard drive :p
  11. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

If portability is your aim, go for an extrenal hard disk from WD or Transcend......

If it isn't, buy a hard disk and a SATA HDD case(might need external power)....

If it needs external power, remember to plug it into an inverter port.....

Using a regular power outlet can get it damaged in quick time.....
  12. mickey

mickey New Member

the external case is a good option looking for me..

but i am afraid.. does external power dangerous maker for the hd??
  13. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

I know many guys whose hard disks got damaged due to power line fluctuations.....
  14. mickey

mickey New Member

yes my friend also says that his HD also got damaged, thats why i am concerned..

but the problem is that, external drive will live with me and i can change the storage with times, whereas the external usb drive will come in say 500gb now(i mean the one i can pay untill now) so it would be taken now, and serve atleast for 5 more years.. so def i am concerned of saving money anyways...

i am concerned that the ext power will damage my HD..q
  15. hitler517

hitler517 New Member

It all depends on what you want to store..... If it is 200GB of movies for personal use, go for HD.... If it is daily stuff like softwares, templates.... buy a portable hd....
  16. rajan1311

rajan1311 Just a member

Never heard of such issues...its just 12V dude....you will get an adapter along with the enclosure...
  17. mickey

mickey New Member

its around 120 gb..

actually what happened is that my brother wanted his movies in my computer so that his lappy will be free.. so he told me to buy a storage device.. he told me buy a wd or a seagate..
    but dilip confused me with his hardisk external case concept..
  18. Ace_A

Ace_A Guest

There is nothing confusing
    He has clearly mentioned about the "Fact" of hard drive earlier!!
    So i think so that @threadstarter has understood it!!
  19. mickey

mickey New Member

^^^

arey boss mujhe confuse hone ka bhi adhikar nahi hai kya??
  20. mobileprince

mobileprince Guest

externa hdd

go for a seagate external